Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

gating public land

Old thread but this crap is pissing me off. I'm on my first bear tag and first big game hunt. I'm in CO. Me and a buddy went out to a blm spot in our unit on the second weekend of bear. Lots of good sign and saw bear. Now deer and elk seasons are started and the gate is now locked. On the maps it sure looks like a public road. The gal tells me that it's actually private. Both of us have calls into dow and can't get a soul to call us back. Sheriff's won't even give an answer on if it's public or private. Real irritating.
Welcome to HT. Check the MVUM map (left column) here:

Ran into the "locked public gate" problem out here last year. Landowner 5 miles down the "orv/atv" public road put a massive lock on the gate. Thinks the off road crowd ruins "his" road so he locks it down at will. Road was listed as open on the county website (updated frequently). Neighbors living in cabins by the gate were mad they couldnt access some areas they like to visit. I carry bolt cutters for this reason and they were not big enough. Now I carry a portable battery operated angle grinder with a diamond cutoff wheel, extra battery, and charger. Next year that lock will be cut straight down the middle.

We actually have an awesome LEO who loves to tear down privately gated public roads. Just have to let them know where to find the issue, and its a very common problem. I just dont like waiting when I have plans now.

Yeah the road is question is shown as public on that map. What a crock of shit. Now If I could actually get a hold of an officer.
Call the sheriff and tell him you are cutting the lock in 10 minutes. I bet he shows up.

Finally got to talk to a deputy. They dug around and say that is is a private road. That sucks. At least I have an answer now. Now my only choice is to get in touch with the blm office because it's land locked. Yeah right. That will never happen I'm sure. I guess the residents of Colorado get to pay for those folks private blm land.

Seems to be the norm down in NM, even some of the larger county roads were gated and locked. It was really hard to figure out what was public and what was not.

A few years ago I met with a CP&W officer in Hayden, CO regarding land locked BLM land. He said sometime around the 1940's the gov. allowed the private property owners to prevent public access to the locked land. They did not include an easement for the public. It's as simple as that!! In northern Colorado specifically there are so many sections of beautiful hunting/fishing country that is land locked. These big ranch owners are so close-fisted they block all assess with locked gates. Often Outfitters have access thru the rancher but not the public. This has pissed me off for forty years. Thankfully the RMEF has done a lot to open up lots of property for hunters and anglers. But some of my favorite land locked areas are not accessible, used only by the land owner, this includes grazing rights, hunting and fishing etc..

A few years ago I met with a CP&W officer in Hayden, CO regarding land locked BLM land. He said sometime around the 1940's the gov. allowed the private property owners to prevent public access to the locked land. They did not include an easement for the public. It's as simple as that!! In northern Colorado specifically there are so many sections of beautiful hunting/fishing country that is land locked. These big ranch owners are so close-fisted they block all assess with locked gates. Often Outfitters have access thru the rancher but not the public. This has pissed me off for forty years. Thankfully the RMEF has done a lot to open up lots of property for hunters and anglers. But some of my favorite land locked areas are not accessible, used only by the land owner, this includes grazing rights, hunting and fishing etc..
Man that's insane. I can't stand that crap. It's public land. The fact that they didn't do an easement for public land boggles the mind.

choppa.jpg
Drop in there with the choppa like Randy did

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back