MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gary Johnson

IlliniFIre

I noted today that the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson is having a townhall meeting on CNN. It sparked me to do a search on Google to see where he stands on issues that are important to sportsmen. He is very much a 2nd amendment advocate. His environmental stance has at the least potential to be positive. One thing I can't find is any stance on public land transfer issues. Anyone on here have further info?

I'm most impressed with the fact that's he's not either of the front runners. I would still need to be convinced he's not a vote for Clinton.

I spoke with him on a radio talk show four years ago and he was crushed when I told him I had to vote for Romney because it would have been a vote for Obama otherwise. He seems to be on the best candidate around just can't get behind because it's a vote for Hillary.

The only way we'll ever get better candidates is if we start voting for them! I'm going to leave the polls this November feeling good about who I vote for, whether they have a chance of winning or not.

The only way we'll ever get better candidates is if we start voting for them! I'm going to leave the polls this November feeling good about who I vote for, whether they have a chance of winning or not.

This ^^^

Those who vote strategically are part of the problem and part of the system. But I repeat myself.

Gary Johnson was my Republican governor. Intelligent, but kind of flake. Made his own money. Advocated legalizing marijuana before our neighboring northern neighbor thought of it. Would think about voting for him, but would lean toward Trump.

I identified with Libeterians for a lot of things, but know that a few different Libeterian groups are for the privatization of federal lands, that government should not hold any land. That was the Arizona Libeterian Platform though, could differe state to state, who knows in the politics world anymore. I want that Bull-Moose Party to make its 3rd comeback

I'm most impressed with the fact that's he's not either of the front runners. I would still need to be convinced he's not a vote for Clinton.

It is equivalent to not voting, except it has the FU, your candidate sucks, message to the Rs. Not that they themselves don't understand that. Kinda makes you pine for Romney...

It looks like he will get my vote again as the only viable choice I have.
He was Gov. here and after the King kingdom and before the Richardson freeforall he was a breath of fresh air.
Not a real flake as far as I'm concerned,just different.
I know many very conservative NM folk who wish he was back as Gov,along with most moderates,some libs.

My FU goes to clinton,trump the 2 parties & congress.

My FU goes to clinton,trump the 2 parties & congress.

Let's say Johnson wins Utah and Idaho due the Romney influence and for arguments sake. He would receive 9 electoral votes.

If neither Trump or Clinton receive 270, then who becomes president?

"If no candidate receives a majority of Electoral votes, the House of Representatives elects the President from the 3 Presidential candidates who received the most Electoral votes. Each state delegation has one vote. The Senate would elect the Vice President from the 2 Vice Presidential candidates with the most Electoral votes. Each Senator would cast one vote for Vice President. If the House of Representatives fails to elect a President by Inauguration Day, the Vice-President Elect serves as acting President until the deadlock is resolved in the House"

Could you imagine a Republican president with a democratic vise president or vice versa.

The house is currently 247 R and 188 D - which I would think by the margin (+59) would favor Trump. Wouldn't be surprised if Johnson got the nod though.

The senate is currently 54 R and 44 D and 2 I. With a narrower margin, I think would favor the Dems VP, because lack of distrust in Trump.

It is kind of crazy to think about.

Last edited:
The official Libertarian platform is against the Feds owning any land. I'm sure he'll support transfer to the states...

Could you imagine a Republican president with a democratic vise president or vice versa.

I can. It's not part of your Constitutional analysis, but I'd be all over a Sanders/Trump or Trump/Sanders ticket.

It would be really cool if, after they were solidly seated, they put out a press release that said: "Dear Republican and Democrat Parties: We only joined you because you've gerrymandered and rigged the system to the point where we had to if we wanted to have a chance. And remember, you always said that people who don't like the system should work peacefully from within it to change it. We did. Now go suck a Dk."

Then we'd change the system to include run-off elections, repeal all party-specific laws, create simultaneous primaries, over-ride Citizens United and/or deprive organizations/corporations of their "person-hood" when it comes to campaign contributions, etc. As to the latter, corporations are a creature of states and as such, there is no Constitutional Right for them to exist, much less to have rights to privacy or limitations on liability etc.

Then I woke up.

The official Libertarian platform is against the Feds owning any land. I'm sure he'll support transfer to the states...

Any chance on a source for this in the platform? I looked through the official Libertarian webpage but didn't see anything. Maybe I missed it.

I heard an interview a while back and he seems to support our public lands. Think he mtn. bikes in NF here in NM. And he does know how much income visitors to NM public lands brings in.
He's sort of a cross of R/L/D overall from what I have seen.
Trying to get response from his campaign site.
Maybe someone wiser knows how to get one to respond to this subject? BF? RMEF? BHA?
Platform on public lands from candidates?
I know of no mainstream press to ask this simple ?.....but we know of hand sizes.
I got no replies from any other candidate either.Just asked for $.

I haven't listened to it, but Joe Rogan (who's become somewhat of a public land advocate) had him on a podcast a while back. I'm assuming the vast majority of the conversation was drug related though. Might be worth a listen.

I'm with whiskeydog though, I'd be very surprised if a Libertarian candidate supported the federal government owning land. It's kind of what they're fundamentally about.

Last edited:
Back