PEAX Equipment

Garmin GPS Opinions

Joe Hulburt

I find myself in need of an upgrade on my GPS to include the On X maps. Does anyone have an opinion on the Oregon 650 vs the Montana 680? Cabelas has them both on sale at our store so I will probably go with one of those two unless someone tells me of another unit that is superior.

The Montana says it comes with a world wide base map but I assume that is a minimal map and not the detail of the On X?

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject!

I have an Oregon 550 and have no complaints. I use an onX MT chip and it works fine. I have no experience with the Montana 680, but The Garmin base maps aren't as detailed as the onX maps.

I have a 62 sc and really like it,,,i had a Oregon and hated the touch screen,,,kept turning on by itself killing the batterys in 3 hrs,,,I got rid of it ,,,like the manual buttons on the 62,,,64 is there new one,its a little more complicated to set up but still one to check out.

Thanks for the info all! I've been using the 60Csx for many years and it's been pretty good but the compass seems like it is always out of calibration and the screen is getting so scratched it's hard to see.

I ended up going with the Garmin GPSMap 64 and the individual state On X cards. According to the expert at Cabelas the regional On X cards are not really accurate enough? Does anybody agree with that? I would have rather spent $99 to get 3 states than $99 each obviously.

The main difference between the regional maps and the individual state maps is that the individual state maps give the landowners name for private land and the regional maps just show that it is private.

Accuracy should be the same with both products.

I bought the Oregon 650 for my last years deer hunt. I dint use it with the chip but I've used up in the Kaibab and Alaska. No problems so far and I would buy it again if I had to. Good luck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back