Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Game Carts

rmyoung1

Does anyone here have any experience with the GameTote or one of the stronger game carts out there? I'm interested in getting one to haul out an entire quartered elk. And, of course, it needs to be able to function properly in the places where elk live. Any opinions or ideas? Thank you!

At first blush, I am not sure how many places that are elky are conducive to a game cart.

With that said, a number of local guys use trailers behind mountain bikes to haul elk out of gated roads. That is something I have seriously considered.

I hate being this guy, but of the dozens of carts I've sold I can't think of one good feedback. Ones with inflatable tires get punctured while the hard tires get bent and twisted. Unless you have flat ground to cart around on you are likely asking for trouble trying to haul elk. I would be interested in knowing how many carts get left in a ravine each year. I can think of a number I've allowed "returns" on.

Let me clarify a bit... I'm not envisioning a scenario where I drive my game cart right into the elk and then load up a dead one and haul it out straight from the gut pile to the truck on the cart. But there are many scenarios in elk hunting where the first 3 or 4 miles from the truck are done on a locked old logging road or an old two-track or something. The hunter then leaves the defined trail and strikes out into his intended hunting spot. Getting the elk back to the old road or beaten path is most likely a backpack affair, but the right game cart might make it possible to do that final leg back to the truck in one trip and save my back in the process. So that's what I'm after. Those old trails or two-track roads, though, aren't Iowa cornfields. Sometimes they have steep, rocky stretches, and I'd like to hear if guys out there have used a cart successfully in such conditions. And, if so, which cart works?

Last edited:
I have a Cabela's Magnum Game Cart. It's been used twice for deer. Deer #1 was in an treed creek bottom with understory of grass and willows. It took me longer to get the deer out with the cart than if I had quartered or drug him out. Deer #2 was my buck from this year shot in a mix of timber and rangeland with minimal sagebrush. It worked slick getting him out whole. The bumps and ruts did slow me down but it was the sagebrush that stifled the process. If you have a good amount of shrubs (sagebrush, cinquefoil, bitterbrush, etc), you may not accomplish much.

I should add that the Magnum Game Cart is quite heavy and noisy.

Last edited:
Although probably too heavy in most cases I have seen some really well built wheel barrows and even concrete buggies that would hold up to the abuse of hauling elk.

I've also seen a video where a guy rigged up a gearbox on a game cart so he could drive it with a cordless drill.

I have a carryall buddy and a modified Burley kids trailer. My frame pack gets more use but when the conditions are right a cart can be golden. If you have a closed road or trail like you mentioned they are nice. JMG nailed it with the three to consider and IMO they all have their purpose.

My bike trailer sees the least amount of use, but thats mainly because I stopped hunting the area I originally got it for. Also because in Idaho a closed road no jacka$$ is driving on is a rarity and cattle trails are a dime a dozen. I'd venture to guess I do 80% pack 15% carryall and 5% trailer. Good luck in your search.

That pack wheel looks sweet. Maybe not for pulling elk out, but for getting all your gear in, it looks like it could be plenty useful.

I did half an elk on a game cart with a friend on a good trail. It was awkward and used muscles I hadn't used previously or since. I decided from then on I'd rather pack it out on my back if I was going to go to the trouble of butchering it at the kill site. It might be nice for taking out an animal whole if you are close to the road, but not three miles back. JMO.

A sled, on the other hand, works awesome on snow. I've hauled out a several boned out elk by myself with a sled.

Used this Cabelas magnum cart to get out my 250 pound plus buck. Not sure how it would work on an elk though. Maybe a couple trips! Worth it's weight in gold IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back