Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Gambels

Walt lister

Been hotter than I like till today so I went out for a couple of hours a few miles north of town. Temp same as my age, 74* when I got there and supposed to heat up into the upper 80s again next week.

Looks like a good track to take
quail10-12007.jpg

Summer rains have left the desert here in better shape that this time last year
quail10-12008.jpg

quail10-12002.jpg

Saguaros all puffed up with stored water
quail10-12001.jpg

Sand wash--critter highway
quail10-12003.jpg

Covey ran through the brush ahead of me and flew over the ridge ahead
quail10-12004.jpg

Success
quail10-12006.jpg

Three birds in the bag were enough today, sore right foot was enough reason to go in.

The rains will help next year's population a little. I lived in Yuma during the quail boom years of the early 80s when there was plenty of moisture and they exploded. We shot literally hundreds of quail from the old Gila River bed.

It sure isn't like that now from what people have told me. Drought really hurts those little critters. There is nothing any better to eat than Gambel's quail. We ate legs, gizzards and breasts and there is nothing like them.

Walt, your pics are capable of making quail hunting seem like an exotic pursuit of great proportions, which in some ways it is. I always look forward to reading your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Walter, thanks for sharing. Had to show the pics of Our Beautifull desert to the wife as We are in N. Dakota for a few years. Did You sell that Older Ford truck You had? BOB!

Yes, I sold it a few months back. I probably should have shipped it up to the oil boom area, might have got more for it. Is that why you went up there? You should be getting some good prarie bird and pheasant hunting about now.

Yes, I sold it. Probably should have sent it up to the oil boom area, might have gotten more for it. You should be getting some good pheasant and prairie bird hunting about now.

Great Pictures! Your pictures always make me want to see your desert. I need to start taking more pictures. I spent yesterday in the mountains of North Carolina with my son and his setter searching for grouse. We only got up one and the laurel was so thick we only heard him. But we had a great day.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back