Gaiters

MThuntr

I've gone a long time without gaiters and after trudging through a foot of snow this weekend it's time to pull the trigger on a pair of gaiters. I'm fairly certain I can get Kenetrek locally. Are there any others I should consider?

This last week I wore Kenetrex's for the first time. They worked well for me. My other gaiters I bought from Cabalas years ago and I like the Kenetrex's a lot more. They are also easier to put on and take off.

Dan

Berghaus Yeti, the best out there in my opinion, but, they are a real pain in the arse to get on, and off, they even made Youtube videos on how to do it!
Cheers
Richard

I've got a pair of Kenetrek's gaiters, they work well. I've found that the strap that goes under your boot must not be made of cloth, if it is then you will get huge balls of ice on the strap and you will constantly be stopping to knock the ice off.

I have used Kenetrek's for years and they are ok. I wish they were more form fitting, breathable and weighted less (not a big deal when on your legs but I hate packing them in on a multiple day hunt if I am not certain I will need them) . My brother has a pair of Kuiu gaiters that are pretty sweet and the First Lite gaiters also look pretty nice.

Outdoor Research is what I use. Kennetrek's may be just as good, but the OR's are great gaiters.

Outdoor Research is what I use. Kennetrek's may be just as good, but the OR's are great gaiters.

Which version of the OR gaiters did you get? Apparently they are very similar but one seems to be made with name brand materials like Cordura and Gore-Tex versus generic waterproof. I just got a 20% coupon from REI in the mail so that might be worthy

I've used Outdoor Research for years for hunting and work in winter.
Great product and customer service.

I've used Outdoor Research for years for hunting and work in winter.
Great product and customer service.
I have Crocodile and Vergala.
Crocodile model heavier and take a beating.

I had a chance to use my new first lite Brambler gaiters yesterday in the mud and snow. I'm now wondering how I've made it this far in life without gaiters! I don't have experience with the others mentioned above but the Bramblers worked great. The strap under the foot is a Hypalon strap so its quite durable and won't collect snow and ice. Good luck with whatever you choose

Last edited:
Which version of the OR gaiters did you get? Apparently they are very similar but one seems to be made with name brand materials like Cordura and Gore-Tex versus generic waterproof. I just got a 20% coupon from REI in the mail so that might be worthy

I believe they are the crocs.

Yes. The OR Crocodile gaiters with Cordura and Gore Tex. They have been charging thru the snow great lately- work, skiing, snowmobiling, and hunting. Very pleased with them.

I'm not sure what brand mine are, but I can't imagine hunting without them. From dew and rain in the early season to snow this time of year, I use them all season long.

For deep stuff the crocodiles are worth the bulk. For general use I vastly prefer the OR Flex Tex II. I wore out two pairs of the original flex tex, and I like the II's better; they're a little more substantial. I use some superlight spandex gaiters with running shoes for pretty much all summer hiking.

I have been using the Rocky Mountain High versions for 8 seasons and still counting. Not sure why or when I will need another pair but they get my vote.

I've had a pair of Cabelas brand for quite a few years now and have had no problems with them. They only cost $40+, are water proof, and very light weight to the point that as soon as the weather turns cold I put them on most every day whether there is moisture to repel or not because they protect my more expensive pants and keep my lower legs warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back