Caribou Gear

Gaiters - Zipper Front, Velcro Front or Both?

TexAg09

I borrowed my dad's Cabelas goretex gaiters this past season, and I loved them. Unfortunately his are older, and they have since altered the design. ( I don't like the new elastic cinch cord along the top on the new ones. I could feel it loosening with each step I took around the house.) So, I'm in the market for new gaiters, but I noticed some only have a velcro closure on the front (OR Crocs, First Lite Bramblers, Kuiu Yukons, Kenetreks), while some have a zipper and velcro closure (Cabelas and Sitka). Has the closure only being a velcro closure bothered any of you while using your gaiters? Have you ever wished it was both zipper and velcro? I am just a little uneasy about possibly buying a velcro only closure, but wanted to get some feedback. TIA!

I borrowed my dad's Cabelas goretex gaiters this past season, and I loved them. Unfortunately his are older, and they have since altered the design. ( I don't like the new elastic cinch cord along the top on the new ones. I could feel it loosening with each step I took around the house.) So, I'm in the market for new gaiters, but I noticed some only have a velcro closure on the front (OR Crocs, First Lite Bramblers, Kuiu Yukons, Kenetreks), while some have a zipper and velcro closure (Cabelas and Sitka). Has the closure only being a velcro closure bothered any of you while using your gaiters? Have you ever wished it was both zipper and velcro? I am just a little uneasy about possibly buying a velcro only closure, but wanted to get some feedback. TIA!

Like the velcro only as I need a bit more adjustment from wearing gaiters with regular boots and wearing with insulated pacs, as the circumference around my calves is greater when wearing pacs.

I have the Kuiu Yukons and love them. It has not crossed my mind about a zipper front. I don't think you can go wrong, I choose mine simply for cost over the Sitka ones, and Kenetrek ones.

I usually wear out a set of OR Crocs every year. The Velcro closure has never been the weak point.

They fail in 1 of 3 ways for me. The stirrup breaks, the stitching along the front of the gaiter holding the velcro on wears out or the bottom edge frays badly.

The Kuiu looks better made (double stitching), but not sure about the durability of the material. I've tried a couple "stretch" type gaiters, they failed pretty quickly, stretch=snag=hole...

When I bought my pair of Mountain Hardware gaiters I thought for sure the Velcro wouldn't last. I've since replaced the stirrup twice and the Velcro is showing no signs of wearing out. They do have a snap button on the bottom just below the Velcro. Not sure if that helps keep the velcro from snagging open on brush or not. I know after hiking through brush the button is often undone but I've never had to stop to re-seal the Velcro.

I've worn the Kuiu gaiters for 3 seasons now, never had a problem with them, holding up very well.

I've had zippered and velcro gaiters. Velcro wins, no contest for me. Zipper ones were always a PITA to get zipped. I use Kuiu Yukons and have been very pleased with them.

I miss the old cabelas style, they were affordable and durable. Sounds like you don't need a zipper but I still have one on mine. Went the cheap route and bought a pair from kings camo. They seem adequate buy I havent put them to the test yet. Only a few all day hunts.

Had the same Cabellas goretex gaitors for years. Zipper in back & snap cover. They work great.
Have replaced the underboot cord w/paricord & a push cord cinch.

The OR Crocs have been the best I have used so far. The Velcro fronts and stirrups seem bombproof. They don't slide down on my leg and seem to fit very well on my pac boots, Xc ski boots, and my White's logging boots. Used daily for feeding, chores, and snowmobiling this time of year.

I have Kenetrek velcro and I love them. I have had zipper gaiters in past and the zipper has broke off a couple of times. My advice would be you get what you pay for when it comes to gaiters.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back