Frustrated hitting a wall

This is not meant to be smarmy, but how do you go about that? Every year I've hunted Arizona - I've been into elk and had opportunities (I never cashed in on until this season) but I attributed that more to luck and the relative high number of elk for the relative lack of elk habitat..

Usually some calls to biologists are the first step, or others who spend time in your unit - wardens, other hunters, etc. Bios will know the seasonal patterns.

In CO they have maps on their website for every unit that show winter range, summer range, and the migration corridors. They make it so simple, even a caveman could do it.

In AZ/NM, the units I have hunted, there are definite early season areas and late season areas. I am not sure if that is due to weather/seasons, or due to hunting pressure. In the rim units, winter, if you have any, will push them lower. In your other areas, as soon as the shooting starts, they head for some of the terrible country that people don't want to go to.

There are also dry year and wet year areas in AZ/NM, causing movements and concentrations that will consistently have elk. It really comes down to the seasonal needs of the elk, with each month have different needs, and matching the area that fills the elk's needs to the time period you are hunting - pre-rut, rut, post-rut.

In MT, ID, WY, CO, and most the states with much winter, you will have definite patterns of movement, based on weather, that cause elk to leave their dispersed summer and transition ranges, to heavily congregated winter ranges.

Hopefully that gives some more ideas of what I look for. I am not the expert. Many guys here know a lot more about elk than I ever will. I think my hunts are very similar to the guy who draws a tag once every three or four years, most likely in an area far from home, requiring them to sort things out pretty quick, or as you said, count on luck. Luck is not always our friend, so I try to not rely on that option.

I have a question somehwat related to this also. How do you guys go about finding which roads are open and which roads are closed? It seems I find areas with lots of road that are "supposed" to be closed, but when you get there, people are driving all over. Or they came in from a direction that wasn't closed. Which brings up another question, why would a road be closed on one end, but not the other? Or I have seen one where it was a dead end road, when you hit the end and started coming back, there was a road closed sign, but the other end didnt' have one. Still don't understand that one. Sorry, for the rambling!

I have a question somehwat related to this also. How do you guys go about finding which roads are open and which roads are closed? It seems I find areas with lots of road that are "supposed" to be closed, but when you get there, people are driving all over. Or they came in from a direction that wasn't closed. Which brings up another question, why would a road be closed on one end, but not the other? Or I have seen one where it was a dead end road, when you hit the end and started coming back, there was a road closed sign, but the other end didnt' have one. Still don't understand that one. Sorry, for the rambling!

I hunt a transitional winter range for elk and there are some roads that get hammered even though they are closed. The best way to get it enforced is to make phone calls when you can to the ranger. My experience has been that if they find a place that has people breaking the law they will camp out there.

As far as finding out which roads are open or closed, on FS direct your inquiries to the Ranger district in charge of that area, they will be able to tell you. Calling FWP is worthless when it comes to roads and trails.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back