Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forest Service partners with local communities on workforce housing

Pay taxes to the government, work for the government, have the government pretty much controlling your every move, and now living in a house, built by the government, provided by the government…..

Ya I don’t like it.

But then again I despise the welfare and unemployment systems as well. I’m that guy.

The state of Iowa is abandoning already existing employee housing for seasonal workers and park rangers saying it gives them benefits other employees don’t get.

Pay taxes to the government, work for the government, have the government pretty much controlling your every move, and now living in a house, built by the government, provided by the government…..

Ya I don’t like it.

But then again I despise the welfare and unemployment systems as well. I’m that guy.
Like an old school company town. Lots of them around me, all of which were controlled by a private company at one time

The housing crunch is very real in the west and salaries aren’t coming close to keeping up for public employees. Best advice anyone in one of these provided homes could do would be heavily invest any housing savings they have because they’re going to have to live somewhere when they move or retire

I suppose if, as the article says, it only occurs at existing administrative sites, it doesn't bother me that much.

Locally, we can't hire LEOs - both federal and county - because of the absolutely absurd home prices. Based on income levels, Idaho ties with Montana and Hawaii for the lowest affordability in the nation. It's a real, real problem.

Hospitals in Montana are now exploring providing housing for nurses and other staff. Other businesses are doing similar. I understand that because these are federal jobs, there may be some other considerations, but utilizing existing developed sites seems pretty inoccuous to me.

Can we all just start to rage against the coasties, wait I’ll throw in against corporations too, okay I’ll add Facebookie and insta too for ruining western/ rural home buying with their BS? Tell me when, I’m ready haha 😂

In this instance USFS has what isn't otherwise available in the area, unused property that can be improved to provide the unicorn of affordable housing for workers. My read of the quid pro quo is that it is mutually beneficial and equitable from a distance. I agree w the concerns listed here about the Fed as 800# gorilla. That is what contracts are for, and I bet Summit County has been duely diligent in analyzing this agreement. Overall, it would be better if the Feds used an existing process like land swap to transfer land for such projects, and stay out of the real estate development business.

"The majority of the units will be available for Summit County employees and other Summit County residents who qualify."

This is the statement that bothers me the most. As noted above by Nameless Range, many communities are having issues with basically apartment or duplex style houses or rentable units for new staff. Law enforcement and teachers mostly. I support the objective but I think too many issues arise when you added other county residents who qualify. They should limit it to Summit County employees. Period. Defeats the purpose if other tenants fill it up that otherwise qualify and then a need for an employee comes up.

"The majority of the units will be available for Summit County employees and other Summit County residents who qualify."

This is the statement that bothers me the most. As noted above by Nameless Range, many communities are having issues with basically apartment or duplex style houses or rentable units for new staff. Law enforcement and teachers mostly. I support the objective but I think too many issues arise when you added other county residents who qualify. They should limit it to Summit County employees. Period. Defeats the purpose if other tenants fill it up that otherwise qualify and then a need for an employee comes up.
Also that is where slippery meets slope… if they go, woah we have too many folks who can’t afford housing up here… let’s carve off another sliver of NF land or BLM and build some apartments

In this instance USFS has what isn't otherwise available in the area, unused property that can be improved to provide the unicorn of affordable housing for workers. My read of the quid pro quo is that it is mutually beneficial and equitable from a distance. I agree w the concerns listed here about the Fed as 800# gorilla. That is what contracts are for, and I bet Summit County has been duely diligent in analyzing this agreement. Overall, it would be better if the Feds used an existing process like land swap to transfer land for such projects, and stay out of the real estate development business.
Land swaps are typically pretty slow unwieldy processes that can easily take a decade to pull off. Not saying it should be like that but that’s been my experience with them.

I've wondered for years at what point syphilization would start "Commandeering" public land in the West for living arrangements. Guess its happening.

Pretty soon every ski town will be gobbling up public land in order to fix the problem that they created in the name of progress.

Back