Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Foot care products

Muskeez

What do you do when you get that feeling that a blister is in the making ? I have tried a piece of duct tape applied directly to the skin. It seemed to work last year. Any other suggestions for prevention other than well worn in boots of course? I lace up as tight as I can take it anyway and wear smartwool socks. How about after you have a blister and still have several days of a backpack hunt to go and a multiple mile pack out ahead? I haven't had it happen yet but dread the day I do.

There are several different powders out there that are supposed to help prevent blisters. For running in the rain, people use body glide to avoid chaffing and I've used it on my feet before. I always carry moleskin in my pack if I end up with a blister, it really helps. Duct tape seems to come off if it gets wet from sweat in my experience. The moleskin can too, but stays on better. There are different brands of moleskin, I like the thinner stuff, some of it is really thick and comes off easier.

A couple of years back I was asked to shoot a video for BlisterShield and SportShield (http://www.2toms.com). One is a powder the other a roll on. I was doubtful about the powder. Now I use it all the time. Just dump a small amount into your sock and it works all day. Easy to cleanup.

I'm not selling for them at all. I just use the stuff. Heading to MT to bow hunt elk in ten days and the BlisterShield is in the pack. I used it to break in my new boots and I will keep using it on long days. Anything to keep my feet happy and in the game.

I've tried it all duct tape works best for me. I have a real narrow heel, I put duct tape on for preventative measures. My first archery elk hunt I wore holes in both heels. I don't take chances any more...once you get a blister your in trouble! As soon as I feel a hot spot I stop and add tape.

best way to deal with blisters is not get them! wear a poly liner sock and then a wool hiker sock, 2 layers reduces friction transfer to your feet. if your going to be long hard trek tape your feet ahead of time in blister prone areas. I forget what that tape is called but its like a brown med tape and will stay on your feet all week if needed and protect them. also if in wet areas or if your feet sweet bad carry spare set and swap out, if your just day hiking I usually eat lunch with my boots off and feet in sun if weather permits

Bokeh, I couldn't find the powder in my area, but did find monkey butt powder. I will give that a try here before my hunt. Thanks for the idea.

ccc, are you talking about coban tape or maybe kinesio tape?

I mowed the yard at warp speed the other night in a dumb choice of shoes and got a small blister. Not good 10 days before an elk hunt, so it got me thinking I had better prevent any more.

Electrical tape works best for me... some people say it doesn't stick but if you stretch it as you are putting it on it holds for me even if I get it wet.

I am a big fan of the two sock system as well. I use the Kenetreks liner with a quality mid weight sock.

I trashed my feet once on an archery elk hunt and never want to be in that position again.

Leukotape: took me awhile to find name for it. works perfect!!! I wrap spots that tend to wear on my feet and tape last for 5/6 days on the mountain with no problems. for the 2 sock system I use Starter "moisture management" sport socks from wallyworld(sock/underwear aisle). all poly, very thin, extra long and I think 2 pairs are like $8, they work best of anything I have tried. outer sock is always based on temp but is high% wool and never ANY cotton! powder doesn't work good for me, seems to clog up the breathability of my boots and my feet sweet badly.

Try not lacing your boots down so tight below the ankle. I have problems with the tops of my feet really aching if I lace down too tight over the metatarsals. I leave the lower end of my boots a little loose (not enough to let my foot slop around) and tighten down the ankle as much as possible. I would think this could maybe help with blistering? Also, good socks and footbeds are amazing. I picked up some of those superfeet liners this spring and have noticed nearly no foot fatigue at the end of a day of hiking. I really like the smartwool PhD socks, they're thick enough to provide forgiveness but still tight enough to not move around.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back