Yeti GOBOX Collection

Flying with a rifle - Is this a change at Alaska Air?

Make certain you have a lock for every place possible on your case. My bud had two locks on his case and there were places for four. The airline would not accept his firearm in the case with two locks on it.

Nobody estd
Make certain you have a lock for every place possible on your case. My bud had two locks on his case and there were places for four. The airline would not accept his firearm in the case with two locks on it.

Which airline/airport?

Had the same thing happen a few years back at PDX flying on Alaska. That was a mad scramble to get more before the plane left.

On Alaska I had to have non TSA locks, I bought a pack of master keyed padlocks. (Like other have said, TSA locks are basically useless and master keys are easy to get and there are many theives.) you will go with the official and open your case when checking it in. Arrive early.

Delta. Spokane.
Interesting. Was it a Pelican case? Delta through Denver, no such requirement last time through. Two locks in four holes on my Pelican 1750. But I carry two extra locks in case they ask or in case they cut the two that are originally on there.

Interesting. Was it a Pelican case? Delta through Denver, no such requirement last time through. Two locks in four holes on my Pelican 1750. But I carry two extra locks in case they ask or in case they cut the two that are originally on there.
Yes, I believe it was a Pelican. If not, it was a similar high end hard case.

There are some decent TSA locks. All brass. I put two on my Pelican case. Flown dozens of times. Delta and an Alaska. It’s wheats been the same and I have never had an issue.

From everything I’m noticing, when I go for it, I’m going for overkill. And I plan to call the airline at the airports I’ll be arriving and departing from to speak directly to those that get to use their interpretation to either make my flight go smoothly, or ruin my trip completely.

I've flown with Alaska and Southwest with a firearms. I've flown from New Orleans, Denver, and Anchorage. Each time I have flown with a Pelican case with 4 non TSA locks (one in each spot on the case).

New Orleans, Alaska Airlines- No issues with the airline check in. I dropped the case off with TSA and they told me to go ahead and they'd call if there was an issue.
New Orleans, Southwest- Same as above
Denver, Southwest- No issues with the airline. TSA completely disassembled my case and my buddy's that was traveling with me. We had to stay there the entire time they inspected them reassembled them. I was afraid we were going to miss our flight and we got there plenty early. The went to the point of removing the foam from the pelican cases.
Anchorage, Alaska Airlines- No issues with the airline. TSA opened the case in front of me, verified paperwork, and I was on my way.

I'll also add that the pickup of the firearm on the return flight was definitely different.
New Orleans, Alaska Airlines- I waited on my luggage at the carousel, expecting to go retrieve my rifle from baggage claim. When the carousel went off, the first items through were three rifle cases and boxes of frozen sheep and caribou.
Anchorage, Alaska Airlines- After getting my luggage, I went to baggage claim. They verified my paperwork and handed me my gun case.
Denver, Southwest Airlines- Same as above.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back