Flying Bucks and Pillow Fights.

T Bone

Just returned from a great 3rd season hunt. I had a buck tag, one friend had a bull tag, and the other guy is there to help and offer moral support.

There are a lot of good elk in the unit, few deer, but what deer there are, they get big.

Saturday we enjoyed watching many good bulls, and we settled on a bachelor group of 3 large 6 points. None of them small, two of them large to very large. Rob and Greg set off on a long elaborate stalk, while I watch, hunt deer and chase squirrels. At the moment of truth, there was some thick excitement. It was so thick that Rob lost his mind and killed the second biggest bull!

Insert Rob's bull here....Greg, you want to post that?

Saturday night at camp was festive. We pillow fought.

Sunday morning Rob and Greg go to get the rest of the bull out. I go to try and find a large buck.

Late morning I cut a set of tracks that look to be a large buck. I follow. I think to myself, "I should look ahead and glass". I look. There he is. A very large, wide buck looking at me. We locked eyes for 6 seconds. I silently wish I was shooting instead of glassing....and then he squirts out the canyon with his tail on fire.

Sunday afternoon Rob and Greg leave for their homes. I scheme on where the buck will resurface.

I go and wait....and wait....and wait.

With light fading, he pops up, exactly where he was supposed to. I quickly set up for an easy 200 yard shot. The rifle cracks, I hear a thwack and the buck takes off on a rubber legged sprint....right toward the cliffs he just emerged from. And he disappears over the edge!

I stand there, in disbelief. Did that just happen?

I hurry over to the edge....holy flying squirrels. If the Hornady didn't kill him, the fall will. I quickly see where the first impact was. It was similar to the "Bugs Bunny and Road Runner" show. The crater was quite obvious. But he was not there....he must have bounced over the next ledge.

It took me 15 minutes to figure a safe route to the 1st ledge. I spied him! Only 30 feet down on a wide bench! Another 10 minutes later I found my way to him.

He seemed to missing something.
attachment.php

I franticly scan the area with my head light to find the other side to the biggest buck I've ever killed.....nothing! I was really excited but slightly concerned. To me, this was a great buck! I take the best pictures I can.

attachment.php

I took pictures, and set to work getting it quartered and in bags. I grabbed the antler to reposition, and pop! The other side came off! Peachy. The impact must have really rang his bell.

I have no clue how that deer made it to the edge...80 yards or so.

attachment.php

Sleep didn't come easy....I was glad I had the buck. But I really wanted to find the other side.

Monday morning I spent 6 hours looking for the lost antler with no luck. It must have gone flying into space on either the 1st or second impact. With all the meat on ice, I broke camp and headed home....

Dropped by my favorite taxidermist here in Montrose (Southwest Taxidermy) and he agrees that it's a big buck...The skull was broken. I sold him the cape...

It was a good hunt, with excellent friends, and I did indeed kill my best buck so far.

If anyone happens to find my antler, I'll buy them anything on the menu at Blondies Diner in Naturita. It's a mirror image of the one in the pics.

Wow, what a story. Think of what it would have been like to watch that series of events go down in its entirety?

Congrats on a great buck. That buck flying over the cliff is certainly not something that happens everyday.

Quite the rodeo... you can fit a ring on that brow, in Texas it's a 5 point ; )

I had had the opportunity to meet and hunt with quite a few Hunt Talk guys over the years and they are all class acts, T Bone is no exception. A classy, humble guy who knows how to find big animals. Really, two days to put a 190" typical mulie on the ground? T Bone's ability and long track record speaks for itself.

Rob and I did have three big bulls dead to rights opening day, but some quick decisions were made (as often happens) and the biggest bull walked away as his buddy with a couple of broken horns hit the ground. Rob still ended up with a really nice bull and was happy with how everything worked out.

I am thankful for beautiful country and great friends to hunt with. I am always reminded how fortunate I am. I hope your hunting season goes well and ends safely.

Rob 1.jpg

Rob 2.jpg

Rob 3.jpg

Rob 4.jpg

I am hoping to draw this elk tag next year and hopefully Rob and Tyson can return to give me an assist. I will pillow fight anyone to get an opportunity at some of the bulls we saw with my own tag in my pocket!

Great pictures!

Too bad that area is nothing like it used to be for elk.....It's tough to find a mature bull these days, or even a cow for the freezer. ;)

Looking forward to matching slippers and pajamas on next years hunt!

Last edited:
Ha ha that holy flying squirrels comment made my lmao, too bad about the lost horn though, with a buck like that, I'd be talking with the taxidermy man about a reproduction antler. Looks like a great bull you guys got there too, congrats on what looks like an awesome hunt and good luck drawing that elk tag next year.

I'm sitting here grinding up this stinky deer still amazed at how the scenario played out.

Tomorrow morning I will try the cliffs one more time for the antler.

I've had several people tell me I need to shoot a bigger gun...maybe so.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back