PEAX Equipment

Fly me in Scotty!!

You don't have wait until hunting season to see the small army of security they have on hand. I flew in a few weeks ago for a 3 hour Horn hunt and was bombarded by a helicopter, a patrol vehicle and a motorcycle. I caught the patrol vehicle guy standing 2 feet from the tail of my supercub taking pictures of my N number.

The whole thing kind of reminded me of Mad Max and the thunder dome.

Do you think this might blow up in their face? You mentioned before they were flying low during hunting season. If they are out there (potentially) harassing wildlife and someone gets extensive video would it be enough sway the court of public opinion?

I don't think they really care as long as they think it ruins or takes a way from my or your enjoyment or experience recreating the Durphies BLM.

Access swap hits barrier: Agency drops Durfee Hills from Texas brothers' land proposal

If they say it enough it must be true. I am starting to feel sorry for these Texas billionaire brothers not getting their way here, giving them no choice but to close down that Bullwhacker road access, being ganged up on by over 1600 members of the public like that.

Earlier this month, the Wilkses announced they would open the Bullwhacker Road closed by the previous owner in 2011. That announcement came before BLM made public that it was removing the Durfee Hills land from the proposed exchange. Wilks Ranch has now decided to keep the Bullwhacker area closed until the BLM considers the original land exchange, James said.

i am thinking there is recourse against anybody that inhibits your right to persue happiness, anyone on the durfee needs to carry a small video cam and be ready to turn it on,
you dont need to be hunting and use the hunter harassment law, i understand the nearby landowner has fortunes to spend on lawyers and things, thats no reason to put up with harassment of any kind

Fly me in

I'm new to the site! I drew this tag this year and hope to connect on a bull. Planning ,scouting trips and gaining any info I can get is much appreciated.

:rolleyes: Good Luck!

Wilkes Ranch employees won't need to haze elk; the army of amatuers searching for a 350 bull will do it for them!

Those of you that hunt the area... i heard a story and seems way outa line but one can never tell for sure. A business associate said he had heard of guys shooting an elk up there, dressed it out, went back to camp to get packs... and when they returned the elk had been drug onto the Wilkes property with one of the ranch hands reporting it to FWP as trespassing. Said the next time they shot an elk, they actually took pictures, buried a quarter in the ground, everything to document where the animal actually was and to prove to FWP what was going on...

Not sure if it is happening or not... just curious if anyone has had run ins like that up there.

Thanks for that information, I'll be on the look out for that type of behavior!

That is ridiculous rumor!

First, the ranchhands of Wilkes Ranch could care less about the hunters...soooo that leaves only a handful of employees (namely patrollers and managers) to commit such a deed.

Second, any hunter or warden can recognize a drag trail. Wardens see this all the time; only the opposite in which hunters drag animals from private onto public ground.

Third, The Wilkes Ranch manager and head patroller allowed multiple hunters to retrieve elk that had left public land and traveled onto deeded after being arrowed. The only stipulation for retrieval was that a blood trail existed from public to private.

Some of us live here and some of us hunt here and we know what occurs and what does not. It is true that some have had unfriendly encounters with patrollers or spooked animals as a result of helicopters. I recognize this as part of hunting this area now. Maybe one day a season I have a Wilkes encounter, and they can take as many pictures of me as they want, if they want. The fact is I am legal; thus, I have no concerns.

These forums are public, so lets not slander a landowner with rumors. If I was the foreman and read the above comment regarding stealing elk and pressing trespass charges I would never allow another recovery!

Bivy,

Thats what I hoped was the case. I have hunted some in that area on forest service and never had any issues.
I have never had any issues with landowners wherever I have hunted in the past which is why in the first sentence I said I thought it was way outa line. The only reason i asked on a public forum is because I don't know anyone personally that hunts the Durfee Hills or spends any amount of time in the area.

Back