MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Florida Deer

Nightwolf

I was just wondering if there was anyone in Florida or has experince with Florida deer hunting to include food plots.

depends on where in fla? food plots can be effective not allot of ag. here! soil accross the state varies, some areas of the state food plots will work in other areas they just will not grow with-out allot work/maintenance. Hogs will tear them up pretty quickly as well........ corn flingers are popular on private land........Public land Swamp hunting is where it's at in this state!

can you be more specific as to where? are you planning to hunt fla??? are you planning on putting plots in?? need more info to help!

a canoe and lightweight portable stand is allot fun in Fla.:D

Attachments

• FLA8.jpg
    FLA8.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 171
I'm in Panama City. Have close to 300 acres leased. I'm surrounded by planted pines. I have been running a feeder but it's been a pain the butt because of the bears. I have about a 1/2 to and acre field i want to plant. Plus we are thinking of putting in an acre one as well. I'm trying to attract the deer hogs and turkey.

Start with soils test to determine Ph you may need to precondition the ground prior to planting (lime etc...), planted pines often means sandy or clayey type soils big difference in perculation rates which will determine moisture levels. some seed blends are more drought tolherant than others.

you mentioned 1/2 to one acre in size those are on the small side but can still work if in the right place, if you can get larger, I would. placement and position (which you may or may not have control over) is also critical to the amount of sunlight the plot will get which plays a role in it's success.

research various seed blends bio-logic (legumes) can require allot more maintenance than most have time for (annual planting, spraying weeds etc...) clover based blends work best IMO but experiment with different ones until you find what works best for your particular plot!

planted pines are great for cover (depending on size of course) but are virtually void of food! (other than under story vegetation like honeysuckle, american beauty berries etc.) plots can be very effective in these areas.

Panama City is in a great location for access to the most productive state public hunting opportunities, the biggest buck I have ever killed here (pic above) came from just north of you on a management area (some good deer in north Fla. relatively speaking). If you have access to a canoe, the river basins in North Fla. are littered with islands (depending on standing water/rainfall) and can be the most enjoyable hunting opportunities in the state, let me know if you want more details!

Good Luck with the plots!

If you want a food plot to grow in the pines you've got to put a lot of lime in the soil to neutralize the acid.

My cousin has a ranch outside Clermont these are a couple bucks off his property.
l_f7c3d4883e8c4579951fba72777142b3.jpg

l_abe4e22ff0fc2827a2ede1c9dce61904.jpg

Thanks for all the info. I will post some pictures of my set up for the plots as i get it. I got a couple of good bucks on trail camera, hopefully if I get the plots going good it will turn up a few more bucks.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back