Float Fishing for Steelhead

Very good article...jigs and bobbers have made a lot of steelhead fishermen out of people that arent steelhead fishermen. Good deal to introduce more people to the sport, as just about anyone can catch them on a jig/bobber.

If all you do is bobber fish, and cant successfully drift fish, you arent really a steelhead fisherman.

Those that can do both effectively will not leave much fishable water on the table...

Very good jigs and bobbers have made a lot of steelhead fishermen out of people that arent steelhead fishermen. Good deal to introduce more people to the sport, as just about anyone can catch them on a jig/bobber.

If all you do is bobber fish, and cant successfully drift fish, you arent really a steelhead fisherman.

wow not a very accurate statement right there..... drift fishing is easier by far....:confused:
Matt

Wyoming guy is an expert steelhead fisherman? ... or is your moniker really BuzzR :D:D

I havent always lived in Wyoming...

Started fishing them in 1978. Never missed an Idaho season from 1978-2004 and typically fished for them 20+ days a year. In the late 90's I even ventured into Oregon, Washington, and B.C. some...good times.

Never kept track of yearly totals, but had a 27 fish day on the Clearwater once.

I've hung a fish or two...

I had a 28 fish day once... j/k. 27 is super remarkable. I'm a quality over quantity guy. I seriously prefer any coastal fish to the Idaho/Columbia runs...although in Sept/Oct when they are HOT they are prime specimens of psycho silver bullet slime rockets. However Nov-April they don't do much for me. I'm sure you can relate, if you've fished B.C., WA, OR and the coast in general.
Now back to the cutthroat debate. As Herzog said and I quoted in my jig fishing article for STS... "Bobber fishing is steelhead fishing with training wheels."
True dat. It's easy if you make it easy. However in BC or a lot of OR/WA coastal streams when you're casting 40-60 yards across fast water to fish a slow seam and dead-drifting while keeping your line mended upstream it's a little more difficult. Also Some runs/holes/riffles are snaggy and float fishing solves. That being said a rag is one of my favorite trophy steelhead baits...

Attachments

• 011(sm).JPG
    011(sm).JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 615
First off, thats a beautiful fish...

No question the coastal rivers are better...but, when you live in Western Montana and hunt from Sept. through November, not much choice, and its close enough to allow for weekend trips.

I agree that there is quite a bit of water that is better fished via j/b but theres also a lot of water thats all but impossible to fish with anything but drift gear. I also agree that j/b is steelhead fishing with training wheels, and much easier, IMO.

I also agree that big rivers are tougher to fish, no matter the terminal tackle...and the main stem Clearwater is a big river...for anywhere.

You can compensate for a lot of line mending via higher gear ratios, treating line, and 10 footers...

Also fair to note is that while a rag might work on the coast, you'd fish long days in Idaho to even bump a single fish with one there. Coastal fish, IME, are much more willing biters and many times like they like big aggressive tackle...even pink bubble gum worms at times.

Idaho fish...better be thinking small, light line, and perfect presentation. I've caught lots of steelhead in Idaho on 1/16th ounce jigs while those fishing around me didnt hang a fish all day. Most just think you're lucky when you out-fish them 10-1....

Always preferred to roll my own from start to finish as small jigs and good hooks were hard to come by where I lived...and choices of "patterns" were limited, as were colors. In particular I always had good luck on a "Michael Jackson" (White head and a Black body), or the Charteuse/Black.

IMG_4872.JPG

This is the biggest steelhead I ever caught on a j/b...just shy of 41 inches on a 1/16th ounce orange/orange right at daylight...

steelhead1.JPG

Those look deadly. You're dang right coastal fish bite better. However they haven't been in the river for 5 months before you catch them...and fight like madmen!! Just shy of 41"...

Attachments

• 0005a(1).jpg
    0005a(1).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 622
What a toad....nice, very nice.

Would have loved to caught that one of mine when it first hit the fresh water...I'm sure it would have been 25lb's+...was 20.5 as is.

An old boy told me once" I would rather have a sister in a bordello,than a brother who is a steelhead bobber fisherman...LOL

Care to elaborate?

Any dummy can watch a bobber...

any dummy can drift a weight on the bottom of the river.... simple setup, very simple too fish.... you really don't have too anything except cast...... but i'm not much on losing a ton of gear either, I like too tie my own jigs from paint too thread too marabou/hair, but i'm a simple bobber fisherman - but I still out catch just about everyone I go with or fish around.... last weekend I hooked 15 and landed 11 in a day and a half of fishing, one real nice 32 1/2" 12lbs, hatchery fish..... and a similar native fish but these are little riggin's fish..... here are a couple of pics....
Matt

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Last edited:
any dummy can drift a weight on the bottom of the river.... simple setup, very simple too fish.... you really don't have too anything except cast...... but i'm not much on losing a ton of gear either, I like too tie my own jigs from paint too thread too marabou/hair, but i'm a simple bobber fisherman - but I still out catch just about everyone I go with or fish around.... last weekend I hooked 15 and landed 11 in a day and a half of fishing, one real nice 32 1/2" 12lbs, hatchery fish..... and a similar native fish but these are little riggin's fish..... here are a couple of pics....
Matt

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

I apologize up front if I am not seeing what I think I am seeing,the second picture appears to be a wild fish? and it appears that you have your fingers in it's offside gills?
On my hole that would be a fighting offense. just saying

obviously your looking for a fight, and so I will explain how I hold a wild fish for a picture, 1 finger under the gill plate, not the gills..... doesn't hurt the steelhead what so ever..... and totally releasable,
Matt

obviously your looking for a fight, and so I will explain how I hold a wild fish for a picture, 1 finger under the gill plate, not the gills..... doesn't hurt the steelhead what so ever..... and totally releasable,
Matt

Speaking of pickin a fight "any dummy can drift a weight on the bottom of the river.... simple setup, very simple too fish.... you really don't have too anything except cast...... "

I offer my apologies, I just got home from the river below Shoup,fish are still coming. Are you about done at Riggins? Or are you sending more my way?

they still should be headed your way, I haven't been since that trip, between all the rain and melting snow the river has been high and muddy so I don't want too make the 3 hour drive right at the moment, maybe this next weekend...
Matt

Nice fish guys.

mtlion - I absolutely clobbered them over there the last weekend of February. Put 20 on the bank in one day. Haven't made it back over since. If I can get out again I will head towards Stanley/Challis. Looks like I'll be waiting for Springers to show and then the long wait until next winter.

Buzz - BTW Pinky Dinky works in ID too!

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 363
Nice fish guys.

mtlion - I absolutely clobbered them over there the last weekend of February. Put 20 on the bank in one day. Haven't made it back over since. If I can get out again I will head towards Stanley/Challis. Looks like I'll be waiting for Springers to show and then the long wait until next winter.

Buzz - BTW Pinky Dinky works in ID too!

I have never fished that run but I'm eyeing it seriously. I heard I can be on fish an hour and a half from Hamilton...

Back