Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Flat Iron Steak

The flat iron steak is 2 steaks filleted from the scapula off the shoulder.
To send this to the grinder is a sin. All it takes is a fillet knife to get your flat iron steaks.

Hank Shaw has an excellent page describing this cut...one of my favorites from caribou and moose.
https://honest-food.net/cut-flat-iron-steak/
But what if you just really like lil-smokies?

Asking for a friend.

Kind of small on most deer, but worth the time on moose, elk and Caribou. leave it whole to freeze then trim the middle the day your making them.
Hank Shaw recommends for animals 400 pounds and up. Caribou is the smallest I've filleted flat irons from. Scapula also is good to rake in bull moose...

But what if you just really like lil-smokies?

Asking for a friend.
Two sins are putting a flat iron in the grind pile and putting shank meat in to grind pile instead of cutting for Osso Buco.
A third sin is not taking the heart and tongue...if you do not like heart, put it in the grind pile.
Tongue is excellent for Lengua Tacos...

Two sins are putting a flat iron in the grind pile and putting shank meat in to grind pile instead of cutting for Osso Buco.
A third sin is not taking the heart and tongue...if you do not like heart, put it in the grind pile.
Personally I think backstrap makes the best pepperoni sticks.

@Dave N what do you think, I bet one of these would save me a lot of time, just skin’r out and then push the whole thing in...
EA5034E7-D545-43C8-8651-E42CB388C14F.jpeg

Alrighty then, back to the OP. I've cut these out but have always used them as stew meat. I'll try some out as minute steaks since whitetail are fairly small. I actually left last year's front shoulders (scapula section) whole to try out new recipes. Got hooked on the shanks, and just did a boneless neck roast and made 3 different types of meals from the meat. Need some burger again from any deer taken this year.

Alrighty then, back to the OP. I've cut these out but have always used them as stew meat. I'll try some out as minute steaks since whitetail are fairly small. I actually left last year's front shoulders (scapula section) whole to try out new recipes. Got hooked on the shanks, and just did a boneless neck roast and made 3 different types of meals from the meat. Need some burger again from any deer taken this year.

Didn’t cut the flatirons out but this year so far with a pronghorn doe and whitetail doe, I sawed the front shoulders in half for bone in roasts for carnitas or a few other recipes. Never done it before but I really disklike trimming shoulders out.

Antelope flatirons are even smaller and harder to peel apart once you cut them off the scapula. I agree. It's a sin not to cut these. Small steaks off deer and antelope but dang good.

PREACH IT!!!! Tongue and heart tastes so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back