Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Flaky Howa Kuiu...Warranty Update

thomas89

DCC9806B-DFB9-4EF3-9735-87985C6B3CAE.jpeg

Think this is a first or second model Howa Kuiu in Verde, with some crazy stuff happening to the finish. It’s been bubbly for quite some time but is now totally starting to chip off. Lady at Howa said that it was the cerakote coming undone, but I can’t find anything about the stocks being Cerakoted. Anybody got two cents to spare?

Attachments

• 8B096C50-EC28-497C-953A-04F69561964C.jpeg
    8B096C50-EC28-497C-953A-04F69561964C.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
I am no expert but I think the stock should be hydro dipped and not cerakoted. I have had two of my guns hydro dipped and its fantastic. But maybe yours is cerakoted are and that's why its coming off? I think ( thought) cerkaote needed to metal surfaces to adhere correctly. BUT, I may be way wrong on this.

I have an American flag Howa and its sure looks like Hydro dip to me. Looks just like the others I have had done.

It appears to be a Hogue stock, and it's just the outer "sticky/tacky" layer coming off. The actual dip/print on the stock looks like it's staying on just fine. I had the same thing happen on a Savage stock that had a similar finish.

It appears to be a Hogue stock, and it's just the outer "sticky/tacky" layer coming off. The actual dip/print on the stock looks like it's staying on just fine. I had the same thing happen on a Savage stock that had a similar finish.
I agree the camo print still looks to be in good shape. Just a little irritating to have a rifle looking rough, along with having to shake all the little flecks out of the case every time.

We’ll see about their lifetime warranty, but I’m already getting the feeling they are warrantying only the barreled action.

I agree the camo print still looks to be in good shape. Just a little irritating to have a rifle looking rough, along with having to shake all the little flecks out of the case every time.

We’ll see about their lifetime warranty, but I’m already getting the feeling they are warrantying only the barreled action.
I totally understand the frustration. I have a savage rifle with a Kryptek pattern on the stock. It's doing the same thing. Frustrating to have a rifle that looks like it hasn't been taken care of.

Well, after ANOTHER email telling me the stock was cerakoted (after confirming with a manager), I decided to call to get some answers.

Just spent 20 minutes on the phone, most of which was on hold. However it was confirmed that the stock was actually hydro dipped like @belshawelk stated above. Anyways, the warranty for the stocks only is good for 1 year. Sure it's only cosmetic, but that is a big part in purchasing anything.

Herein lies my frustration. They advertise that lifetime warranty, but mention nothing about how the sub-contracting portion (i.e. stock finishing), has completely different terms. I guess when I read, "The HOWA rifle 100% Lifetime Warranty covers faulty, defective or broken parts due to manufacturing defects." Now I went to a public school in Wisconsin for what it's worth, but based on my reading comprehension, this to me means 100%, but the best she said she was able to do for me was a reorder of the stock with a 10% discount. Another 5 minutes on hold while she tried to find the part number to figure out the actual cost to me and that's where we left it. Supposed to get an email Monday with the option to purchase a new stock.

Frustrating start to the weekend.

If it shoots well I’d:
1)Use as is or
2)Paint it yourself or
3)Use as is while you wait for a nicer stock from McMillan, Manners, even Stocky’s etc.

All depending on your budget, how long you plan to keep it, and how much you care about the aesthetic. A nice homemade sponge paint job can look pretty good.

Poor quality finish and poor customer support in my opinion. Browning had an issue with certain stocks losing their finish many years after production and they covered the cost to repair. I had a Limbsaver recoil pad get gooey and they replaced it even though it was many years old.

I would not spend more with them. I would send it somewhere to be dipped if they will not cover it.

Synthetic stocks=crescent wrench, simply a tool to be used and abused.

I don't even try to care about dinging up a synthetic stock on a rifle. Really nice wood on a rifle, whole different story, hate scratching them up.

I would use synthetic rifle stocks to pry my truck out of the mud, pound in nails, etc. and never even think twice about it.

I wouldn't worry about it if it were me.

I like the utility of a synthetic rifle, no reason to worry about a scratch or dent.

IMO
That’s piss poor customer service and being someone who was on the edge of buy a new rifle from them, I’m seriously reconsidering. I’ve been burned by people that don’t stand behind their stuff and I’m done with that. Browning has been fantastic with some rifle issues I had and I really respect them for it. I’d call back and push harder. That stock can’t cost them $50 and it can be worth the headache. Ask to talk to CS lady’s boss. Customer service pretty much has to read from a script. My 2 cents.

If it shoots well I’d:
1)Use as is or
2)Paint it yourself or
3)Use as is while you wait for a nicer stock from McMillan, Manners, even Stocky’s etc.

All depending on your budget, how long you plan to keep it, and how much you care about the aesthetic. A nice homemade sponge paint job can look pretty good.
It definitely shoots well enough to keep around. My understanding is it's the same barreled action as the old mountain rifles they used to make, just dropped into the Kuiu hogue stock. I was really thinking about getting the Stocky's stock for it anyhow. Sanding it to at least get the flakes off isn't a bad idea.

Synthetic stocks=crescent wrench, simply a tool to be used and abused.

I don't even try to care about dinging up a synthetic stock on a rifle. Really nice wood on a rifle, whole different story, hate scratching them up.

I would use synthetic rifle stocks to pry my truck out of the mud, pound in nails, etc. and never even think twice about it.

I wouldn't worry about it if it were me.

I like the utility of a synthetic rifle, no reason to worry about a scratch or dent.
Agreed, more the principle than anything. I always find it interesting the different levels companies will stand by their warranties (or not).

IMO
That’s piss poor customer service and being someone who was on the edge of buy a new rifle from them, I’m seriously reconsidering. I’ve been burned by people that don’t stand behind their stuff and I’m done with that. Browning has been fantastic with some rifle issues I had and I really respect them for it. I’d call back and push harder. That stock can’t cost them $50 and it can be worth the headache. Ask to talk to CS lady’s boss. Customer service pretty much has to read from a script. My 2 cents.
I'd really be reconsidering it as well. The new stocks they are putting on these rifles are not as cheap to replace as these Hogues are. HS and the new Stocky's carbon fiber are not cheap to begin with. Like I said after two emails where they swore up and down it was cerakote flaking off, then checking with a manager on the phone, at some point it's not worth my time or getting spun up about it. I'll definitely be taking my money elsewhere along with sharing this story, to at the very least, give people a heads up.

If that’s where a pack strap wraps around it to secure it to the pack that’s what I’d expect it to look like.
It is not, the entire stock is like this. I would 110% understand normal wear and tear doing this and not be raising a stink at all.

Well, after ANOTHER email telling me the stock was cerakoted (after confirming with a manager), I decided to call to get some answers.

Just spent 20 minutes on the phone, most of which was on hold. However it was confirmed that the stock was actually hydro dipped like @belshawelk stated above. Anyways, the warranty for the stocks only is good for 1 year. Sure it's only cosmetic, but that is a big part in purchasing anything.

Herein lies my frustration. They advertise that lifetime warranty, but mention nothing about how the sub-contracting portion (i.e. stock finishing), has completely different terms. I guess when I read, "The HOWA rifle 100% Lifetime Warranty covers faulty, defective or broken parts due to manufacturing defects." Now I went to a public school in Wisconsin for what it's worth, but based on my reading comprehension, this to me means 100%, but the best she said she was able to do for me was a reorder of the stock with a 10% discount. Another 5 minutes on hold while she tried to find the part number to figure out the actual cost to me and that's where we left it. Supposed to get an email Monday with the option to purchase a new stock.

Frustrating start to the weekend.
It would be disappointing to many people in this forum if they told you your outta luck. I would let them know how much bad advertising it will produce here. You are I am sure much nicer than me. I dealt with something similar ( cosmetic) and they tried that crap. Told them I just needed to know who’s ass to shove it up. “ please hold” . It got taken care of.

All you need to do is google who CEO is and wrote him/ her an email. You will get a call back from someone wanting to make sure it gets taken care of. People do this to my company ( big public company ) all the time. And every time we are told to make it go away. They can’t stand negative reviews or publicity.

It is not, the entire stock is like this. I would 110% understand normal wear and tear doing this and not be raising a stink at all.
My homemade paint jobs are hardly showing any wear after a year and a half, to include multiple days in the brush and rain of spring bear season in the Lochsa. If the hydro dip finish can’t handle it, it’s a complete cop out for anyone to say that should be expected.

You can buy all the paint materials for $30 or so and it’ll look better than the Kuiu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patina

Character

Unique

Loved

However you want to describe it, if it shoots and you like it, heck, I’d find a way to admire it. Like a scratch on a wood stock.

In the end, not a huge deal, but I'd agree with you that when a rifle is advertised as having a warranty, the stock should count as part of the rifle. I don't think you're wrong to be annoyed.

Ol' girl got back to me yesterday, they'd send me a new Kuiu dipped Hogue stock for $170.

Ain't that sweet?

Hard pass. Thanks for following along!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back