Caribou Gear Tarp

Fixing a scratched GPS screen. (or a cell phone?)

windymtnman

I've had several Garmin GPS's, and they all get scratched screens to some degree. I haven't seen a protective case as yet that I liked either. A couple weeks ago, I dropped my $400 GPS. It landed face down on some slab rock, and I was walking at the time. I couldn't avoid partially stepping on it! This put a few huge, deep scratches on the screen that made the older, lesser ones seem insignificant. It was so bad, it was hard to read the screen anymore.
I'm told that Garmin charges a $100 to repair/replace the screen, and of course you have to send it to them. I looked on the internet, and saw a couple folks advocating how to repair it. I decided to give it a try.
I got some 2000 grit wet sandpaper, and then some Meguair's Scratch X product at the NAPA store. It took some courage to start wet sanding the screen, but my faith paid off. I wiped the screen off, and next rubbed in a copious amount of the Meguair's Scratch X. I wiped it off, and gave it several repeated applications. I wiped the goop off, and buffed it clean with a soft towel..
I was very impressed with the job it did. I removed virtually all the scratches, and got a crystal clear screen. I don't know for sure, but I'll bet this fix would also work on other scratched LED screens. Worked great.

My GPS screen really needs this. I don't know why Garmin doesn't use something more scratch resistant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back