MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Fishing rod question?

pointingdogsrule

I have a 4'8" Ugly stick that I just love. The eyelet at the end of the rod is worn and frays the line. I would like to replace the end eyelet (cost $2.00) instead of buying a new rod (cost $39.00).

1. How do you get the eyelet off the rod?
2. How do I know what size eyelet will fit over the end of the rod? I would assume that all rods are not the same diameter at the tip.
3. Do I just use some "super glue" to attach the new eyelet?

Thanks in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
Easiest way to remove the eyelet is to cut the remaining thread, very gently, with an exacto knife.

Purchase a new eyelet that matches the same size, Bass Pro, etc should have these.

You'll need to re-wrap the eye. Call fly/bait shop and they should be able to direct you to someone local who can do the work for you. Shouldn't cost but a couple of bucks.

Quite often the tips are held on by rosin. It can be bought at any good tackle shop, comes in stick form. That done you can re-wrap with thread bought at that same shop and seal the deal with clear nail polish. I'd definitely go with a ceramic eyelet unless they've come up with something more whiz-bang in recent years.

A small quantity of rosin is scraped into the new eyelet socket, hold with needlenose pliers, heat over small flame until the rosin melts, quickly slip onto the tip and hold in place for a few seconds. If you didn't get it aligned right, lightly reheat and twist to desired alignment.

We use hot-melt glue where I work. Be careful with heat on the rod blank. A few seconds of heat to the old guide should loosen the old glue enough to pull the guide off. Don't use bare fingers...duh. Heat the glue and apply to the blank then slip the guide over the blank/glue and line it up with the other guides. Not high tech.

Any tackle shop worth it's salt should have you repaired and on your way for less than $5 and 5 minutes. Heat the old top guide up with a lighter and slip off. Melt a hot melt stick and rub some glue on the rod blank. Slip on new guide. Wait a few minutes to dry and remove excess glue with your thumbnail. Good as new.

Might I add though- Try to NOT twist, but pull straight off. You don't want to put a twist on the fiber in the rod blank as there is potential of snapping the end off.

Any tackle shop worth it's salt should have you repaired and on your way for less than $5 and 5 minutes. Heat the old top guide up with a lighter and slip off. Melt a hot melt stick and rub some glue on the rod blank. Slip on new guide. Wait a few minutes to dry and remove excess glue with your thumbnail. Good as new.

OK, I may just take it to get fixed, however, I'd love to try this myself. Here is a photo of the tip. It seems to be "shrinkwapped" onto the rod.

Just scrape it off carefully?

Thanks in advance once more.

good luck to all
the dog

picture.php

Ugly Stick has a lifetime warr. everything from rod tips and eyelets to broken rods i have sent many of them in and in return recived a brand new one.. might try that just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back