First timer...WY bound

Hello all, I've read most of the posts on Wyoming pronghorn hunting and here is my story. This will be my first time heading out west and I will be hunting with my dad, his first time as well. I have 2 PP for goats. We will have 5-6 days to hunt maybe more depending on schedules. I have printed off all of the '14 and '15 random, special, and PP odds as well as walk in areas, HMA areas and the landowners who have given their names to the department for potential hunting on their land. I'm still in the process of trying to figure it all out and I'm probably making it harder than need be but I want this to be a fun time and get a few animals. It looks like area 30 has a decent amount of HMA/walkin and state land. Does anyone have any tips they would be willing to share if this is a decent area or not. Also the stats as far as first pick vs second make me wonder if I should put in for this for first choice or roll the dice on a "better area in the west and this for second pick. Also we contemplated going for Mule deer making it a combo adventure, however this area is whitetail only. Am I putting too much on my plate to try and get both? Thanks in advance for the input.

I'll take your word that the unit has a lot of HMA and WIHA land because I didn't take the time to check that out. It doesn't have much in the way of accessible public land and that's why it's a very easy unit to draw. If you've never hunted out there, I'd suggest just doing an antelope hunt and forget the combo idea. I have no idea why you think that area is whitetail only. There is one LQ unit in that Region (#60), but all the others (59, 61, 64, 65) are a general Type 1 tag. There are also whitetail tags offered in that whole area too under other type numbers.

Last edited:
You better check again on those walk-in areas............check to make sure the species you want to hunt is OK in the particular walk-in you're looking at. I think you will find that many of the areas are for turkeys and not antelope.

You better check again on those walk-in areas............check to make sure the species you want to hunt is OK in the particular walk-in you're looking at. I think you will find that many of the areas are for turkeys and not antelope.

Hey buddy! Long time no see! How ya doing?

Good advise here. I'll second the notion of dropping the combo hunt. With two pp, it seems like you should be able to get into some descent units. Good luck with everything, there are some great threads on here to help you out

Hey buddy! Long time no see! How ya doing?

Hey TG,
Doing good......I'm around, just flyin under the radar. I cruise the antelope threads all the time to see what's new and interesting. I pay attention when you are giving advice. Stay in touch.

Those walk-ins South of Douglas in unit 30 are for turkeys and elk, not antelope. Easterner needs to look at the fine print a little closer.

I really don't think 30 is worth burning your points for. I was in your same shoes a couple years ago so admittedly I'm not the most experienced but I keep several maps that I've highlighted each year to represent "points to draw" and 30 has been a 0 preference point unit the last couple years (unless I'm mistaken). It's also an * unit which indicates difficult public access, which is possibly the most important factor determining your success as a first timer. If that's where you want to hunt I'd put it as a second choice and play the draw odds for a better unit with your 2 preference points.

Thanks huntsbydesign.

In regards to what I posted about the unit being whitetail only, the draw results for deer in 65 which is the area similar to antelope area 30 says whitetail only, so doesn't that mean there is no mule deer hunting?
The WIA for converse county offers archery and regular antelope and then the Hermit and Duncan HMA which are issued via drawing offer antelope as well and those appear connected to bordering state land.

Area 65 is a general tag 10/15 - 10/21 antlered mule deer or any whitetail. Type3 is whitetail only 10/15 - 11/30. Go to the WY web site and look at "public meetings" and you will see changes for this season

Back