First Time to Montana

bigdogg2278

I will be going to Montana for the first time to hunt speed goats, am planning on going around the Terry MT maybe dip down towards Miles City. Anyone have any tips or recommendations for that area, i was looking at some of the large chunks of block mgmt land and BLM land. I am guessing it gets hunted pretty hard but thought its still a good place to start. Thanks

Sent you a PM as I live in Miles City. Been seeing more around when we travel around eastern MT than in the past 2 years. A lot of the does have twins this year.

Pretty sure Obama ate all the antelope in that country.

There are some large Block Management Areas (BMAs) near Terry that allow merely signing in at an entry post. . It's worth the trip to FWP office in Miles City to get maps and information. A very large portion of Prairie County is BLM and other public lands. Get some good BLM maps and read the rules; you will have lots of choices for hunting areas.

It's probably too late already to get reserved for the more popular limited BMA's, but it's worth a call to FWP in Miles City. Good luck and enjoy the beauty of the Yellowstone and eastern Montana.

I dont think the Block Mgmt maps have come out yet for 2013 i think they come out next week so hopefully we can get our name down. Would it be better to start around Terry or Miles City for starting out?

Start what?

Some of the more popular BMAs don't change from year to year, so the phones start ringing once the antelope permits are issued ... before the newest BMA maps are issued. That's why I remarked that it may already be too late for some spots.
Anyhow that's been my experience.

I don't know if broadus is out of your permit unit for antelope,but I saw plenty there 2 years ago on block management while muley hunting.Saw one other hunter the whole week while I was there.If this area is in your unit, I'd be giving those places a look.One place has a game commission trailer on it for signing in and the other is sign in at the gate.
Good luck on your hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back