MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First time Copper Reloader

R

rwc101

I found a box of 110 gr. .277 TSX on clearance that I couldn't pass up. Seems like good 'lope medicine if they shoot well out of my rifle. I've never reloaded copper or cannelured bullets. Any tips or things learned while making the transition from lead to copper?

Load them just like normal. Distance to the lands the only difference.

0.050" off the lands and good to go. If you are using the .270Win Lee Dies check to make sure the bullets don't spin after seating - this is a known issue with some Lee dies and mono bullets.

Suggest that whatever powder you use I'd start with about 4 grains less than those powders that you'd use with like weight lead core bullets. Since you have just one box you best not waste many on load workup.

Speakin a TSX bullets, I was looking at some .25 cal 115 grain TSX and the recommended twist is 1:9 or faster. So how detrimental will a 10 twist barrel be on stability? Would it really be that much of a difference out to 200 yards or so?

Last edited:
0.050" off the lands and good to go. If you are using the .270Win Lee Dies check to make sure the bullets don't spin after seating - this is a known issue with some Lee dies and mono bullets.
Any idea what causes this? Specific to the seating die or is the sizing die part of the problem too?

Go to Barnes web site they have a bullet twist calculator. It will tell you

Funny that the box says 1:9 or faster twist, but the reloading data is with a 10 twist barrel. I'd like to have some on hand even tho I won't be hunting with a .25 caliber bullet this year. The 115 grain TSX seems to be the best lead-free bullet option out there.

I found a box of 110 gr. .277 TSX on clearance that I couldn't pass up. Seems like good 'lope medicine if they shoot well out of my rifle. I've never reloaded copper or cannelured bullets. Any tips or things learned while making the transition from lead to copper?
And just remember that you won't likely be able to reach a max load intended for a lead bullet of the same weight. This comes up with E tips, for me, as the Nosler load data is done by bullet weight only, so the 140 BT, AB and E-tip all have the same data.

And just remember that you won't likely be able to reach a max load intended for a lead bullet of the same weight. This comes up with E tips, for me, as the Nosler load data is done by bullet weight only, so the 140 BT, AB and E-tip all have the same data.
I use the Barnes specific load data and has worked as a perfect guide across 6 different cartridges. And a few times I could get safely above max, but never were a node so never used.

I use the Barnes specific load data and has worked as a perfect guide across 6 different cartridges. And a few times I could get safely above max, but never were a node so never used.
Yes, me too. I missed that he'd identified the bullet as a TSX, the first time I read it. But he should keep it in mind if he'd like to try a powder not listed by Barnes.

If you may be taking long shots be weary of the velocity. I'd email Barnes for the minimum expansion velocity then add 200fps to that for reliable expansion. I use the 127 lrx in my 260 Remington. They say the lrx will expand down to 1600 but I probably won't ever take a shot where it would be below 2000. Side note they say you can eat right up to the hole with Barnes bullets because there's not a lot of meat damage. My doe last year although at 35 yards had a ton of bloodshot meat. Bullet stayed together and exited through a 2" hole though. I couldn't even find it in the ground with my metal detector so it must have went pretty deep.

Follow the recommendations on the Barnes website. I load them in my wife's 270 and they shoot great. Perfect antelope and deer bullet.

If you may be taking long shots be weary of the velocity. I'd email Barnes for the minimum expansion velocity then add 200fps to that for reliable expansion. I use the 127 lrx in my 260 Remington. They say the lrx will expand down to 1600 but I probably won't ever take a shot where it would be below 2000. Side note they say you can eat right up to the hole with Barnes bullets because there's not a lot of meat damage. My doe last year although at 35 yards had a ton of bloodshot meat. Bullet stayed together and exited through a 2" hole though. I couldn't even find it in the ground with my metal detector so it must have went pretty deep.
From what i've seen, there has not been a lot of meat damage with the Barnes TTSX BT. The performance has been great.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back