First steelhead

mdunc8

A few buddies and I had planned on heading to the Olympic Peninsula for a few days of steelheading but got rained out at the last minute. We decided to head to Idaho instead and were rewarded with a few nice fish. The fishing was great the day we got there, but slowed down pretty quickly. We all hooked into several steelhead and two of the guys caught a bull trout. I managed my first steelhead, a beautiful 31" wild fish, only 30 minutes into the trip. Already looking forward to next year.

893614_10101565699761983_2071747223_o.jpg

894924_10101565752276743_744920005_o.jpg

402373_10200378322597159_192597282_n.jpg

Nice. Any pictures of the bull trout?

I dont know whether to say congrats or I'm sorry...;)

Steelhead/Salmon fishing is a dangerously addictive sport...before you know it you'll be heavily invested and doing some crazy stuff to feed the addiction. I cant believe sometimes the crazy drives we did on highway 12 to get to Orofino to fish...I'm surprised I'm still alive to write about it.

Oh...and there really isnt a cure or 12 step program that will help...other than "one" more cast.:)

Thats the one thing I did while living in Montana that I really truly miss...salmon and steelhead in Idaho.

Imagine the number of fish you could have caught if you brought your "lucky hat"!!

Nice fish.....color me jealous.

Great! Good to see your photos again! Have been tying like crazy, but trying to get the Mrs back on two good legs. Two weeks, hopefully and then back on the river....

Pink eggs were the ticket. I believe we also caught two on purple streamers. We tried throwing everything in the box, but nothing else seemed to work.

Last edited:
Congrats! They are fun once you catch them. Unfortunately for me there was a very disproportionate ratio of fishing to catching... ;)

I saw those on FB and thought that water looked familiar. Congrats! I may be heading over this weekend. Buzz is right, it's a hard habit to shake.

Back