MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Rios Down

mconway951

Went to TX last weekend and hunted for Rios for the first time. Had a great hunt was really nice to get out of the cold of MN and get to some warm weather. Saw a ton of birds and wildlife. First day got to the farm and the owner showed us around and i picked a spot and set up with in minutes had 4 toms standing at 45 yds shot and they all ran off i was pretty dumfounded but thought thats hunting i guess next day had toms at 35 yds shot and all ran off. By now I am extremly confused all i could think was my scope was off. I have a diease in my shooting eye and i need the scope to be able to make a clean shot on a bird at all. Took a cowpie and set up against a tree and sure enough was off 2 feet to right at 25 yds i have no idea how it got knocke off it was in my hard case and rode in car but got it set up and shot one nice tom and just my luck I shot the one jake out of a group of 6 toms the next morning the ran in and saw all of them all the way in through the scrub brush but when I shot i saw heads over some brush and just picked one and shot turns out that was the wrong bird. Oh well still good eating
It was a blast to get out and see a new area of the country also found a stone indian arrow head in a dried up river bed that was the find of the trip for me.

Attachments

• 1_imagejpeg952.jpg
    1_imagejpeg952.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 173
Congrats on first Rio....fan does not look like Jake....I have noticed this a cuppla times and almost shot a Jake on my first hunt when three birds were strutting around and whirling back and forth and in strut....luckily they got to where I could see beards and all were Jakes----two did not have Jake fans.....anyone else noticed this on Rios???

that was the tom i shot he was just a 2 year old but was a decent bird even though his fan was lil beat up not sure y though.
this is a pick of the Jake.
So I am only one shy of grand slam how many of you guys have your slam complete

Attachments

• jakerio.jpg
    jakerio.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 91
Now that's the way a Jake fan should look! Congrats on being within one of your slam....I presume you lack the Osceola....last for most of us....give me a PM if you wish....may be able to hook you up but with an outfitter....also got a bud who might be able to direct you to WMA's with pertinent advise but I wud not recommend a DIY hunt on Osceola for your first----they can be way tuff! Took my first on a private ranch which was bascically DIY when I was only competing with buddies for a fee....struck out three times on DIY before killing my best among gators and cotton mouths
Yep, I do have my Slam.....and World Slam too

Congrats on the birds and welcome back to the cold, snow and rain ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back