PEAX Equipment

First Mule Deer for a New Hunt Talk Member

CoonRock

Greetings,

While I was familiar with the show having watched it on the Outdoor Channel when it first began airing, it wasn’t until the beginning of this year that I discovered the forum. I am drawn to the do-it-yourself on public land aspect of the material. Additionally, I appreciate that so many are willing to share their knowledge to help others become more successful. It has certainly helped me be more successful in my first year as a Montana resident.

Originally from Wisconsin, and for a short time Minnesota, I decided it would be easier to live here than to only make short hunting trips when time allowed. Luckily, being a CPA made it easy to find employment and my wife and I packed up and made the move in December of 2015.

Since moving we’ve been fortunate to participate in many outdoor-related activities. We have hunted coyotes, fished, shot prairie dogs, volunteered to remove fencing at the Dome Mountain WMA, participated in the Crazy Mountain goat survey and elk and deer hunted.

I spent most of the fall, other than a weekend visit to the Slippery Anne refuge, unsuccessfully trying to kill an elk. Last weekend I decided it was time step away from elk hunting for a while and try my luck hunting mule deer. I made the 2-hour drive from Billings to a BMA and BLM tract that looked promising. I spent the day hiking and glassing for a shooter mule deer buck. Near the end of the day I ran into this guy. I initially thought he was only a three-point buck. Though he sported a tall rack, it was narrow and I was planning to let him walk away with his does. Unfortunately for him, they stayed long enough for me to notice he was a 5-point buck.

I would like to extend a thank you to all those that have contributed information to this site. Your contributions are undoubtedly helping others. As we move forward I will attempt to do the same.

Good luck to all during the remainder of the hunting season!
IMG_9625.jpg14975709_1870192793200290_336429955_o.jpg14975849_1870192699866966_1410566642_o.jpg14970886_1870192583200311_1391363186_o.jpg

Very cool buck, congrats! Even larger congrats on making the move to live the life you want. Well planned and well played. Green with envy here... :D

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back