Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First fish of 2013

Joe Hulburt

I decided to take up winter steelhead fishing this year and headed down the river on New Years Day and was able to get things started on the right foot. :)
010113141610_zps8f2e56fd.jpg

I've probably raised 5 million winter steelhead but until recent years they have mostly been an old worn out hatchery stock that didn't inspire me to want to fish for them. We are now using mostly wild brood and the result is much more gratifying. :D Looks good enough to eat!

Nice steelhead, but what really impresses me is that "winter" scene behind you!

Well, you're one ahead of me. Heard it picked up the week of Christmas, but my guess is it was crowded too.

I picked up steelhead fishing back about 1960 and was spoiled by having so many fish it didn't matter if there were a few people around...there were always enough fish that I could catch a few any day the river was fishable. Now its hard to get up for it when I can fish all day under ideal conditions and not get a bite. Hmmm.

Very nice! That one's a beaut compared to the worn out red ones I've caught in Idaho.

Nice steelhead, but what really impresses me is that "winter" scene behind you!

It's rained here pretty hard since Thanksgiving but when it does break off it can be really nice in the dead of winter. Yesterday my wife and I were out hiking and it must have been 55 degrees and bright blue sky. Could turn out to be the nicest day of the year. :D

Well, you're one ahead of me. Heard it picked up the week of Christmas, but my guess is it was crowded too.

I picked up steelhead fishing back about 1960 and was spoiled by having so many fish it didn't matter if there were a few people around...there were always enough fish that I could catch a few any day the river was fishable. Now its hard to get up for it when I can fish all day under ideal conditions and not get a bite. Hmmm.

Back in those days the annual catch on the Nestucca was often over 20,000 with it being the top producer in Oregon. I was a great steelhead fisherman back then! :D With the reductions in hatchery programs we probably only get a few thousand back now. Makes them harder to come by for sure but at least they are super nice fish. ;)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back