NEW SITKA Ambient 75

First Elk Hunt- Lessons Learned

RHCC6

This last season was my first time chasing elk in the mountains. My brother, brother-in-law, and I gave it the first go this year during bow season and all I can say it was a learning experience that was humbling and amazing at the same time.

I wanted to share some of my biggest take away for whatever they are worth to everyone just starting or for everyone's enjoyment.

1. I trained and worked out for the hunt but what I did do wasn't the best for me. We hunted in September and we wanted to cover as many miles bugling each day. For me at mile 9 on day one my knees gave. All of my running all summer helped me keep my breath but I did not strengthen my body to handle the dead fall and going down hill with even a light load. So this year I will be focusing just as much on flexibility and leg strength as endurance.

2. I had NO CLUE what to do when the elk weren't talking. We hit the mountains and hunted in snow and rain for all but 2 days of our 8 day hunt. The days we couldn't buy a bugle we're tough but we kept covering ground. This is one of my goals this year is to focus on learning what to do and where to go when you can't buy a bugle during the rut.

3. Wind, wind, wind! We knew the wind was one of the most things to watch and we did. Made several big long loops that did get us close to elk a couple times because we made sure the wind was right. However, it amazed me how much the wind changes in 10 steps, but going the long way in and watching the wind had us in within 80 yards each way of two bulls with us in the middle instigating. That was awesome, but someone following the bugles didn't watch the wind and sent everything over the ridge.

4. To repeat Big Fin, get away from the roads. Everytime we were within a mile and a half of the truck we were calling to other hunters. Met some good people this way but every time we got 3 miles and out we were in elk.

5. Put the miles in. We did that each day and we saw elk everyday. We never took a shot but for a couple first timers we were just excited to see elk everyday.

6. I was the only one to go full draw on the trip but the cows we called in stopped frontal at 38 yards. I never liked the shot she gave me and I have no regrets on not pushing a shot. Looking back now I have just as much satisfaction in knowing I was that close to notching a tag but choosing to not pushing the limits of reality for good shot on an animal. It does however have a pretty good fire stoked to get back next year and get the job done.

7. Get out and do it! We already have the same OTC tags bought for next year. I can say for myself I caught the bug for Western hunting. There is something surreal about being in an environment where you are not the one in charge. It's humbling and rewarding in every way. I don't have a good excuse of why I haven't done this before.

I hope this helps some guys going out for the first time this year and also I hope everyone chips in with all the things I missed.

Good stuff! Number 7 hit home for me. Been thinking and researching about it for years and have realized that I've wasted a lot of hunting by getting discouraged and "waiting another year"

Thanks for the info

I just went elk hunting in december for the first time. Wrote a similar post. We are going back for archery this year, if we draw a tag. The wind seems tough, best of luck next year!!

Great write-up. Now you know it's not possible to be in too good of shape for elk hunting. Even just finding an elk can be very hard for a first timer so you guys did very well. Bugling bulls are always on the move with the cows being able to cover ground is imperative. Also make sure you are prepared to pack several hundred pounds of meat should you get one 5 or 6 miles from the nearest road.
Now you know what to expect and what to look for next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back