Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First camping/hunting trip...

Hunter&Huntress

Well, this was the first hunt I've ever been on in a tent. It was a bit much for me!! Freezing cold eastern Montana days with bone-chilling wind. Then again, I had a great time. Jason and his dad made sure the wood stove was blazing and had me in the warmest sleeping bag, so I have to say they were hurting more than I was.

We went out the first morning, sat by a pond, and waited....and waited...and waited. Finally his dad got our attention, and this little muley was just waiting there staring at us. Of course, being a muley, and in the rut, he didn't move much. I shot as he started walking away. He took off behind a thick bunch of trees. Jason and I thought I missed (which I had been bragging I have NEVER done) but his dad was convinced I'd hit him, but not in a crucial spot. After walking around for about fifteen minutes, Jason and I turned to go back and look for any hair or anything, since we hadn't seen any blood whatsoever. As he turned around, he got my attention, and that little buck was on the ground. I didn't miss (perfect shot in fact!). Glad to still be able to say I don't miss! (Dad and Grandpa taught me well!!)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 314
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 308
The wind must have been howling to blow snow and push the stove pipe over as those pics show...

Usually with hunting buddies - I pack the stove and nearly shut the damper before crashing out... In the early pre dawn morning when we start mumbling about another hike - the coals are all that is left... Open damper and throw some wood - back to warmth...

With my wife - I am up about every 3 hours, repacking the stove and keeping the tent a healthy temp. My wife is a tough cookie to begin - especially tolerating me... haha! In return, as the saying goes - "Happy wife, Happy life". Now, I just need to work on getting her to pull the trigger - I don't see that happening any time soon though...

Congrats on a great hunt and a nice buck!

I have to say, this trip was better than the scouting trip in the Breaks. We came back in the middle of a storm (which appeared out of no where...love MT) to our tent ripped, down, drenched sleeping bags, soggy pillows, and we were caked in mud! That was also a trip with Jason and his dad...I'm seeing a pattern I'd rather not have repeated... :D

Congrats on a great buck. That looks like some brutal conditions. I was out in it during the day and it was tough, can't imagine tenting it with the wind, cold, and snow.

I think you should wrap some christmas lights around that buck in the last pic and put him up in your yard for christmas

Back