First Buck, First Public Land Deer

np307

Yesterday was the opener for muzzleloader here in central NC. I saw several deer in bow season and shot a nice 8 point that I never was able to recover. Tonight I slipped into a new spot on the game lands with my wife. We just sat on the ground on a ridge across from another ridge with a nice creek bottom below us. With no meat in the freezer this year, I was ready to shoot anything I got a clear shot on. Around 5:00 a doe moved through but too quickly for a shot. Then around 6:30 I saw this guy trotting down the ridge in front of us. He got to the creek bottom about 50 yards away and quartered to me. Stepped through a gap and I fired. He ran 30 yards and I watched him crash and tumble down the hill. First buck I've ever killed after 5 years of hunting and the first deer I've killed on public land. Pretty cool that my wife was able to be there too.

49e39870984e1c3dfed656d237cab2fe.jpg

Way to keep after it, and congratulations on your first. Bonus points for doing it with your wife present.

That looks like my first buck, 30+ years ago on NC public land! And for the record, any deer on NC public land is a good deer and a trophy! Congratulations on the first of many!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back