Yeti GOBOX Collection

First AR-15

802flyfish

Looking to purchase my first AR-15. I have it narrowed down for the the most part. Are the specs that much better on the Aero build then the Smith & Wesson?

If I was deciding between those two, I’d go with the Aero knowing I’d want to be changing parts and adding a handguard of my own choosing. Check out the Bootleg, Inc handguards (PWS is their parent company). I really like them. I’d also suggest a Geissele trigger - at least a G2S model or an SSA if you can swing it. They’re worth it.

Aero has a good reputation for a durability, but I know of at least one PD that uses S&W without any major issues. Hope that helps.

Build one instead of buying! It's much more fun and really not that difficult, you only need a couple special tools and you can put good parts in it for less than you'd buy a similar finished rifle off the shelf.

I like that the AERO doesn’t come with a stock or Handguard because those are the two items I would probably replace anyways as well. What that being said, if I can find the AERO on sale for around $475. I would be under $700 All together. I can find the MP-15 for $500 right now so it’s only a $200.00 price difference. Just trying to justify the price difference to myself.

It seems like every gun show that I attend has at least one vendor selling a "complete" AR-15 for $400 or so. Usually it seems that it's another $50 for a couple magazines and iron sights, maybe another $50 for a cheapo red dot. It's always tempting to just have one to play around with, but I don't know anything about AR-15's and don't hit the range enough as it is lol.

Build one instead of buying! It's much more fun and really not that difficult, you only need a couple special tools and you can put good parts in it for less than you'd buy a similar finished rifle off the shelf.
X2 on this. You seem to save money and get exactly what you want!

My latest build uses the Aero enhanced upper receiver. It is the nicest upper to assemble compared to Mil-Spec style uppers. That being said of the two you're looking at there's likely little qualitative difference. It would mostly come down to what furniture you would like to have.

That aero has a 7 twist barrel. I believe the smith has a 9 twist. If you wanted to shoot heavy for cal bullets, the 7 twist would be your friend.

The gas block on the S&W would need to be removed/replaced if you ended up wanting to change the handguard. Not a huge deal, but another step and more parts to replace. General consensus is for a first AR you should buy one fully assembled. I went the 80 percent receiver route and assembled everything myself on all of my builds because I was more interested in that aspect, I have other firearms I can go shoot if that was all I was interested in. Have built 1 LR-308 (AR10 is armalite pattern only), and a couple 556 builds for the gf and myself. It's pretty fun to build them but can cause some head scratching trying to diagnose issues. Most of the parts on mine were Aero (Ballistic Advantage for barrels, Aero owns them). The best time of year to buy parts/uppers/lowers/etc. is Black Friday, Primary Arms and a few other sites usually have them much cheaper than Brownells and especially Aero directly.

If you plan to build you'll need an armorer's wrench, or crow foot wrench depending on the barrel nut, torque wrench, punches and screwdrivers. Reaction rods are very nice to have as well, or action blocks like the Magpul Bev blocks. I'd also suggest a tool that will help you line up the gas block. A lot of issues come down to poor gas block alignment, feed ramps needing polished, and buffers/spring combos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back