Finding Turkeys in Timber

Mainer207

I’ve had success hunting turkeys in fields, but I’m looking to turn one up in the big woods.

I scouted a spot on public land where a power line runs through a system of ridges alongside a creek bottom...Essentially a field in the middle of timber. Last year, I cut some turkey tracks in there, and I plan on hitting that spot again.

What kind of big woods spots do you gravitate toward while hunting turks?

Use a BIG box call. Need the yelp to carry a long way if the gobblers and hens are few and far between. Can be very challenging on windy days to hear a distant gobble and to get a gobbler to move. Perhaps they can't hear a predator so sit tight when windy. Be prepared to go towards the gobblers rather than sit tight and wait to see if a gobbler is sneaking in on you. Get in close then set up behind a big tree and wait until gobbler is close. I try to set up off to side of a forest road or trail since the gobblers will tend to follow those unless are running in hot towards you. I use a small bit of webbing to provide some cover. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pri...0dNpJIldU56k_CyAbqEaAnvWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Use a BIG box call. Need the yelp to carry a long way if the gobblers and hens are few and far between. Can be very challenging on windy days to hear a distant gobble and to get a gobbler to move. Perhaps they can't hear a predator so sit tight when windy. Be prepared to go towards the gobblers rather than sit tight and wait to see if a gobbler is sneaking in on you. Get in close then set up behind a big tree and wait until gobbler is close. I try to set up off to side of a forest road or trail since the gobblers will tend to follow those unless are running in hot towards you. I use a small bit of webbing to provide some cover. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pri...0dNpJIldU56k_CyAbqEaAnvWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
+1
AA.jpg

I’ve had success hunting turkeys in fields, but I’m looking to turn one up in the big woods.

I scouted a spot on public land where a power line runs through a system of ridges alongside a creek bottom...Essentially a field in the middle of timber. Last year, I cut some turkey tracks in there, and I plan on hitting that spot again.

What kind of big woods spots do you gravitate toward while hunting turks?
You gotta scout and find where they are spending time. Where is the current roost? Where are you seeing sign? No sign? Go out mornings preseason and listen even call or try and get them to shock gobble.

Scout thoroughly very close to the time you plan to hunt. You can identify where they eat, loaf, roost, and strut. Intercept somewhere along a tom’s routine and you can kill a turkey. Small timber openings like roads will draw in toms from far away - don’t get caught thinking you have to go “deep” to find one. Cross off areas from your list to hunt if you’re not finding sign.

Just about all of my turkey hunting is in heavily wooded large tracts of land and basically, I do a lot of “running and gunning”. Remember, just because your area may be devoid of turkeys one day, doesn’t mean they won’t be there the next. Ive had numerous occasions where I hiked all morning without getting a single response, only to go out the next day to have the woods erupt with gobblers everywhere.
Another key is to get out there early, well before first light, and go to the highest ground you can find. You should hear a gobbler or two sound off at first light as they come off the roost, that will tell you which direction to head to.
If you can put one to bed in the big woods that’s a huge plus, but frankly that is hard to do in such places.

Scout thoroughly very close to the time you plan to hunt. You can identify where they eat, loaf, roost, and strut. Intercept somewhere along a tom’s routine and you can kill a turkey. Small timber openings like roads will draw in toms from far away - don’t get caught thinking you have to go “deep” to find one. Cross off areas from your list to hunt if you’re not finding sign.

I’m thinking that my scouting should really turn up a notch the couple of weekends before opening day. I should be able to hit some ridge tops and call and listen for responses.

I’m thinking that my scouting should really turn up a notch the couple of weekends before opening day. I should be able to hit some ridge tops and call and listen for responses.
I usually e-scout, making 10-15 key spots. Then go scout them in person. I look for area where edges collide: water, roost trees, food. Treat it like deer hunting

Completely agree with what everyone else has been saying, especially the part about scouting close to the time you are going. Merriam's here in Colorado are incredibly nomadic and can easily travel miles per day, and while they definitely use FS roads, I have also tracked them through some fairly steep rocky country. If you get a light snow just before/during season, take advantage of it, put some miles in and try to cut tracks. It can give you really good insight into their patterns and travel corridors.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back