Finally....

notellm

I had a goal to take a wolf this year and have been hitting it pretty hard. I work rotating shifts so when i work grave yards i can get out most mornings to take a peek around. I have had a few encounters, calling them in close but couldnt see them, just here them yelling at me in that 80-100 yard range. My friend DJ and i were going to go tuesday morning but i had a dentist appointment. So we are going wednesday instead. Well i get up tuesday morning with the wife and kid and its snowing. I said sure wish i could go today, wifes says go dentist called and canceled! Holy Smokes!!! so i take off looking for tracks, more or less to get a current location on a pack or two for wednesday. I come around the corner and there is a big old Grizz standing in the road. I drive up to were he was hop out to take a pic of its tracks and he is standing abouts 30 yards off the road looking at me! (only had camera phone):(. So back to looking for wolf tracks, I turn up a old road off the main road, same place my son and father n law had a wolf incounter on the 2nd day of season. There they are!!! (wolf tracks) its snowing and there isnt a flake of snow in them.I follow the tracks up this really crappy old road in my pickup for about a half mile. They finally left the road heading east. I park my truck and start following the tracks, i get about 150 yards off the road and there kind of a opening in the timber. I cup my hands and howl like i am so kind of idiot! LOL one wolf howls bad! I sit down in a rock pile and start rabbit squealing like crazy, ravens come in like right now and start circling me? I am thinking thats kinda weird? I catch a little movement down wind of me, i look over my shoulder and here stands a wolf at 11 yards! Crap he is down wind and is smelling my tracks were i came in. Only thing i can do is try a left handed shot. I slowly shoulder my rifle and start turning the buisness end of the Tika 25-06 just as i get my crosshairs on his heart he looks up. I touched it off and down he went, i didnt have a good grip on the rifle and i scoped myself! LOL oh well ill take a couple black eyes for a wolf! lol the rest of the pack had me surounded and were howling and barking at me. i could see flashes of the others. I drug my wolf out to my tuck and loaded it up and they were still roaring when i left. I am kinda sad that i didnt get any pics of me and the wolf and i am very sad my friend DJ wasnt with for the incounter.

IMG-20111115-001541.jpg

That is the best picture I see in a long time!! I'm still looking to bag me a wolf!! Can't find em for some reason...

Thanks guys, Fwp weighed him in at 103 lbs and figured he was three years old.

" oh well ill take a couple black eyes for a wolf! lol the rest of the pack had me surounded and were howling and barking at me. i could see flashes of the others. I drug my wolf out to my tuck and loaded it up and they were still roaring when i left. I am kinda sad that i didnt get any pics of me and the wolf and i am very sad my friend DJ wasnt with for the incounter."

Just felt my pucker factor increase here on the couch! Great hunt congrats!!

Awesome.Guess you didnt sound to bad after all.

Oh man, is that ever cool. Thanks so much for posting that story. Hell of a story. Glad the dentist cancelled on you. Wolf probably wishes otherwise.

Now have DJ get one and post that here, also. Would love to send out two Season Three DVDs. PM your address.

After all the work and thrash that went into getting these seasons reinstated, I think anyone who was involved in that fight gets a warm and fuzzy from a pic like that.

Congrats.

That is awesome..we had some located during archery season..I got a shot...but have not seen them since rifle opened...
That is a great trophey for you...congrats!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back