Festivus freezer filler

T Bone

My two youngest with genuine reindeer.
001_zpscdc3dd02.jpg

Today I decided to take a road trip and try and top off the freezer, and to break in a new rifle.

Found quite a few elk. The weather was crummy, especially the wind. I stalked in on a herd that was bedded cross-canyon in the oaks/quakies. I got to just over 300 yards until I ran out of cover. With the ripping cross-wind, a shot was not doable. I'm talking 30-40 mph gusts.

The only option was to get closer, with no cover. My jungle cat skills must be near fully developed because I literally butt scooted in plain sight for more than 150 yards and not a single elk even looked at me.

I was now 126 yards away from the herd. Some bedded, some feeding, all in the thick brush. I was at eye level with them across the steep canyon. I was plenty close, but the lower angle offered very little in shooting windows.

Finally a little one stepped into the clear.

The new rifle is a Winny 270 WSM. I'm shooting the 150 grn Hornady Interbonds. I tested the bullet by putting it through both shoulders and it did fine. I'm looking forward to stretching out the rifle over the next 9 months.
004_zps47c3778c.jpg

Festivus is always followed by feats of strength. There was a time in my life I could pack this load in one trip.
007_zps02a651a8.jpg

I'm well past that point. My feat of strength was a fail, so it turned into two feats of strength with a lot of huffing and puffing.

Well we certainly have the "Airing of Grievances" part covered around here. Great job on filling the freezer. Do you find tinsel distracting.......

Well we certainly have the "Airing of Grievances" part covered around here. Great job on filling the freezer. Do you find tinsel distracting.......

You couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe...I lost my train of thought...

On another note, how do the interbonds shoot?

I haven't heard any reports of good accuracy yet.

Looks like the new rifle worked out pretty well...congrats!

BTW, nosler is, or already has, come out with a 150 grain accubond in the .270...might be worth a look.

Nicely done! Good eats and good times with the kids. :)

On another note, how do the interbonds shoot?

I haven't heard any reports of good accuracy yet.

I routinely get 1 inch or less groups with Interbonds in my 338 (225's) and my 06 (165's). Great performance on game.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The rifle is the Winchester Extreme model. I traded my pretty Model 70 that I never used straight up for it. It had been sitting a long while at a local shop because it was "too small for elk". I adjusted the trigger down to 3 pounds. So far I like the rifle. Accuracy isn't great, but I've only tried 3 loads in it so far.

150 grain Hornady Interlock with IMR4350, 2" groups. 150 grain Hornady Interbond with IMR4350, 2" groups. 150 grain Hornady Interbond with IMR7828, definate improvement at 1.5" groups. I'll experiment more with some slow powders or different bullets until I can get some sub-moa performance.

Thanks for the tip on Nosler's new .277 offering with the 150 grain Accubond.

My son's Tikka 270wsm shoots bug holes with the Interbonds.

That is the entire elk boned out in the pack, less some damaged shoulder. I made it half way back and had to drop half the load to make it up some steep stuff.

It was a small elk. This year's bull calf. Getting him packaged up for the winter today. Very tender eats.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back