Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Fear of Lost Keys

Thinking through the list of potential disasters, my concern over losing a fob is pretty high. There are lots of ways this can happen. If it happened to you, how?
It's never happened to me, my truck is old enough that it uses a key so I have a key hidden just in case I lose mine on the hunt.

On a somewhat unrelated topic, I pull and hide the starter solenoid to keep someone from stealing my truck.

I have a touch pad on the vehicles. No key needed.

Ford apps also let you lock/ unlock from your phone so there’s a second option for getting in.

So the keys get stashed and locked inside the cars.

Yep. I really like that eberlestock packs have the little key clip in them. I always put them in there and secure them.

Around 2005 two friends and I climbed Granite Peak in MT, camped on FTD. The driver of the car lost his single key, not even on a keychain, in the boulders somewhere around camp on the plateau. Knowing him, you would not be surprised that this happened. Bearthooth talus is pretty conducive to losing small, tan colored items forever.

Truly miraculously the other friend, who surely cashed in all of his cumulative (and substantial) goodness, wholesomeness, and excellent luck, found it after searching for several hours. Among the luckiest re-findings that I've been a part of.

A friend who was driving lost his keys on a fishing trip, clipped to outside of pack. We retraced our steps over a 1.5 mile bushwhack, found keys where he set his back by the lake. No bueno.

Around 2005 two friends and I climbed Granite Peak in MT, camped on FTD. The driver of the car lost his single key, not even on a keychain, in the boulders somewhere around camp on the plateau. Knowing him, you would not be surprised that this happened. Bearthooth talus is pretty conducive to losing small, tan colored items forever.

Truly miraculously the other friend, who surely cashed in all of his cumulative (and substantial) goodness, wholesomeness, and excellent luck, found it after searching for several hours. Among the luckiest re-findings that I've been a part of.
This is what I immediately thought of when I saw this one. I also think about it often when I’m getting back to the truck - in between the moment when I reach for my keys and the moment when I actually touch them.

I had a key come out of a normal pants pocket while racing my daughter on a hike in the Gallatins, luckily it was only missing 15 minutes or so.

I typically put keys in a zippered pants pocket when going far, have never had issues with that.

Thinking through the list of potential disasters, my concern over losing a fob is pretty high. There are lots of ways this can happen. If it happened to you, how?
I always think about that as a possibility too. But I also irrationally fear locking my keys in my truck. On a hunt, I clip mine in my pack but I still check it regularly.

I remember dropping the rental car key fob while scouting when I got out to follow some elk tracks on the Valle Vidal ( at the Backbone if you know the area) . I still remember the way my heart hammered when I realized it wasn't in my pocket. I found it after backtracking but I thought I was going to have to spend the night and try to get back to Taos for help.

in my search i came across this:

1697213217539.png

i think this was a message...

Club carabiner and staunch member of the fob situational awareness camp.

Like passwords , I've accumulated a crazy amount of keys & need to separate from the glob often. Fobs are expensive and inconvenience sucks.

Last edited:
Hasnt happened to
I have a touch pad on the vehicles. No key needed.

Ford apps also let you lock/ unlock from your phone so there’s a second option for getting in.

So the keys get stashed and locked inside the cars.
I have a buddy that intentially buys Fords because of the keypad. He does like you and the FOB never leaves the truck.

I've kept a spare truck key in my front pocket for 25 years. Its helped me out several times.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back