Fat-Assed ATV Riders to Be Banned in Nevada to Save Endangered ButterFly

JoseCuervo

Another Day, another restricition on the Fat-Assed ATV crowd... And once again, we hear that familar cry for 'edjumacation' from the riders.
Apr 23, 7:01 PM EDT

Petition to list Sand Mt. butterfly irks Nevada off-roaders

RENO, Nev. -- Conservationists petitioned the government on Friday to declare the Sand Mountain blue butterfly endangered, saying off-road vehicles at a Nevada sand dune are destroying its only known habitat.

"It only involves about 1,000 acres of habitat, but it's the only habitat left for this butterfly on the planet," said Daniel Patterson, a desert ecologist at the Center for Biological Diversity in Tucson, Ariz.

Federal protection under the Endangered Species Act is the only way to save the rare butterfly from extinction, according to the Nevada Outdoor Recreation Association and Public Employees for Environmental Ethics, who were among those petitioning the Fish and Wildlife Service.

The groups allege the Bureau of Land Management has failed to protect the insect at the 600-foot tall Sand Mountain - a popular destination for motorcycles, dune buggies and ATVs on federally managed land about 75 miles east of Reno.

"BLM has kowtowed to the industry and refused to put in place management to protect the wildlife there," Patterson told The Associated Press.

"The BLM calls itself a multiple-use agency, but at Sand Mountain they are a one-use agency and that is intensive, off-road vehicle use," he said.

Off-road vehicle groups don't think the butterfly or its habitat are endangered.

"They are using the blue butterfly as the avenue to try to restrict use," said Richard Hilton, president of the Friends of Sand Mountain, a four-wheel drive club that is encouraging off-roaders to stay out of posted butterfly habitat.

"I guess when you've got outfits like this with millions of dollars at their disposal to sue, us poor working folks have a tough time," he said.
yawn.gif
:(

The 2.5-mile long dune 25 miles east of Fallon was formed from the sands of ancient Lake Lahontan, which once covered most of the Great Basin. The Fallon Convention and Tourism Authority estimates 35,000 people annually visit the dune, described as an "off-road playground" on its Web site.

BLM officials said they will work with the Fish and Wildlife Service to determine if more stringent protection is needed.

"We have known from day one (the conservation groups) were not happy we weren't putting an iron curtain up to keep people off the dunes," BLM spokesman Mark Struble said.

"If we don't get cooperation and don't see conditions are right for regeneration of the plants, we will have to take stricter measures," he said.

BLM issued voluntary guidelines last fall asking the public to voluntarily keep off the vegetation that serves as habitat for the butterfly and started passing out leaflets and erecting small directional signs based on recommendations from a citizen advisory panel.

"People have been riding out there the last 30 years and most of the users don't know there has been any problem," Struble said.

Hilton said most people are avoiding the posted areas and the situation is improving.

"But they just started putting up the signs in October. They haven't hardly given it any time to work. We are educating people but we take the stand that BLM needs to go campfire to campfire to explain what is going on and what is going to happen," he said.

BLM biologists plan to report on damage and compliance rates during a meeting next week with a citizen advisory panel. Indications are compliance has been good, but could be better, Struble said.

"If you have 4,000 people out there on a busy holiday weekend and only 5 percent are riding where we don't want them, it can have an impact," he said.

The Nevada Outdoor Recreation Association has been working since 1961 to protect Sand Mountain, said Charles Watson, director of the Carson City-based group.

"BLM ignored earlier scientific studies of the dunes which showed off-road vehicles harmed wildlife and habitat," Watson said.

The sand dune covers 4,795 acres, about 1,000 acres of which the conservationists consider critical to the butterfly.

"Nobody has ever talked about closing down the whole place," Patterson said. "Even if we closed off all the remaining habitat, they would still have 80 percent of the dune, including the tallest parts of the dune where people like to ride up and down."

And here is a plea to the BLM, not to educated, but to enforce, handcuff, and throw the Fat-Assed ATV'rs in Jail from the local newspaper... :rolleyes:

BLM needs to keep rowdies at Sand Mt. under control

LVN Staff Writer
April 16, 2004

Some of the activity at Sand Mountain last weekend was disconcerting to say the least.

BLM rangers reported a crowd of 4,000 showed up at the popular dune 30 miles east of Fallon. The large number of visitors was driven by spring break in California and Easter holidays. During the weekend, the litany of incidents reported included illegal fireworks, underage alcohol consumption, theft and many injuries.

Sand Mountain is far too valuable to Fallon's economy to let families be driven away by rowdy revelers. Anytime you can bring 4,000 people on one weekend through Fallon, which happens to be the last stop for gas, food and lodging ... well, you do the math.

We fear the family atmosphere will disappear if Sand Mountain is taken over by rowdies. It is a preeminent attraction for off-roaders, and we don't want to see it sullied by the kind of hooliganism exhibited last weekend. Those fun seekers who, apparently fueled by alcohol, jump their ATVs over bonfires at all hours of the day or night, shoot fireworks into other campsites or steal from other campers are not desirable visitors.

What is attractive about Sand Mountain is the freedom to race ATVs across the massive dune and have a good time. It is a rustic and undeveloped recreation area and provides a lot of fun for off-roaders without much regulatory oversight. We certainly don't want an atmosphere of lawlessness out there, or families simply will scratch it off their list of places to visit.

Given the size of the crowds showing up at Sand Mountain, many of whom make the trip from California, the BLM might want to rethink how it polices Sand Mountain. The popularity of the area has boomed in recent years, and the annual visitorship has reached 40,000 or more. We're not for burdensome rules and regulations, but we are interested in maintaining a safe and wholesome environment for all to enjoy.

As far as we know, the Churchill County Sheriff's Department is not reimbursed for the many calls it goes on to Sand Mountain. Our local ambulance visits the recreation area almost every weekend to transport the injured. The BLM needs to develop a comprehensive law enforcement plan that addresses the dangerous antics and illegal activity but does not penalize those at Sand Mountain just looking to have fun. The BLM has jurisdiction over Sand Mountain and it's probably time they committed more law enforcement resources to keep things under control.

On a positive note, we applaud groups like Friends of Sand Mountain, an off-roader advocacy group based in California, which will be at the recreation area this weekend for one of their annual clean ups. They exhibit the correct philosophy of having fun responsibly and taking an active role in preserving their right to use recreation areas like Sand Mountain.

And when given trail markers, the Fat-Assed ATV crowd can't figure out that Red means STOP, and Green means "Go" (back home...) ;)

Read until the end, as the ATV'rs start taking swipes at the Welfare Ranchers.... :D
February 4, 2004

Trail markers meeting resistance at Sand Mt.

Off-roaders and land managers are trying to gauge the effect of hundreds
of red and green markers now dotting the trails around the massive dune 30
miles east of Fallon known as Sand Mountain.
The markers, meant to encourage the use of some trails and discourage the
use of others, embody a Bureau of Land Management plan to convince
off-roaders to stay off sensitive land without building physical barriers.
The bureau views voluntary trail closures as a fairly unintrusive way to
protect the area's rare species, but its plan has met with opposition from
both sides of the issue.
While environmentalists view the voluntary restrictions as a meaningless
gesture with no chance of preserving habitat, off-roaders say the trail
closures are overboard, confusing and possibly dangerous.
"It's just not the same place anymore," said off-roading enthusiast Jon
Crowley.
"It's getting to the point where people are gonna say 'I don't need this,'
and go some place else."
Land managers have pinpointed areas beside the dune's north and northwest
edges where vegetation still grows, and closed off most of the trails that
run through those areas.
While several rare species live in and around the recreation area, the
biggest concern for the BLM and off-roaders is the plight of the Sand
Mountain Blue Butterfly and the Kearney Buckwheat it depends upon.
So far, the butterfly has only been found at Sand Mountain Recreation
Area. A further decline in the insect's habitat could result in an
endangered or threatened listing by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,
which would likely be followed by stringent Off-Highway Vehicle bans.
While off-roaders and BLM officials are both pushing to head off such a
listing, recreators say the trail-closures focus solely on OHVs and do so
in bad fashion.
The markers along trails are often confusing, Crowley said. Red means
"discouraged" and green means "encouraged," but open trails are often
lined with red markers along either side while green markers are posted in
the middle of the trail.
The red markers along trails' sides are meant to tell riders not to
venture off the trail, but Crowley said it often gives riders pause. The
green markers in the center of trails, Crowley said, are simply nuisances
and can be dangerous. The markers sprout in the center of some trails,
becoming obstacles in what used to be a clear path.
The space between the center markers and the edges of the path are
sometimes too narrow for sand rails, leaving rail drivers with a choice:
"run over the marker or run over the vegetation," Crowley said.
BLM spokesperson Mark Struble acknowledged some kinks still need to be
ironed out, saying the trail-marking plan is in its infancy.
"We understand their frustrations, and our rangers are working on it on a
daily basis," Struble said.
Confusing sets of signs are generally due to a confusing array of trails,
Struble said, that come together and split apart randomly.
"There's always going to be some problems where you get a spider web of
trails. It gets confusing trying to sort it out," Struble added.
Off-roaders are also upset the BLMs habitat-conservation plan seems only
to take into account OHVs, ignoring various other possible contributors to
a massive die-off of Sand Mountain's vegetation over the last couple of
decades.
On Saturday, a couple dozen head of cattle were lumbering around near the
600-foot-tall dune, grazing on sagebrush and tumbleweeds.
"If they'll eat the sagebrush, I would think they would eat the
buckwheat," Crowley said.
The Sand Mountain Recreation Area is part of a 67,000 square-acre parcel
of public range land on which about 400 head of cattle graze from late
November to March 1.

Struble said the grazing allotment will be reviewed when the Sand Mountain
management plan is officially amended to include long-term conservation
measures. The current trail markers, Struble said, is a short-term attempt
at stopping habitat degradation.

"On a positive note, we applaud groups like Friends of Sand Mountain, an off-roader advocacy group based in California, which will be at the recreation area this weekend for one of their annual clean ups. They exhibit the correct philosophy of having fun responsibly and taking an active role in preserving their right to use recreation areas like Sand Mountain."

ElkCheese,
Look at the difference between you and MD. She was able to make an argument (that she continues to make every time ie... The Clubs are TRYING). Whereas, you do nothing but show us a picture of you with your fingers stuck in one of your bodily orifices.

MD I can have a conversation/debate with... You, I just hope you have a ready suppy of KY Jelly as you continue to have stuff stuck in the various orifices of your body....

MD,
What about the ATV crowd whining about the Ranchers????

That's good! Now you and Ithaca can hold hands and skip around while watching the pretty Butterfly's. Maybe your next Rainbow get together can be down there.

There is only 21% of the dune that they are wanting to close. Would you rather give up 21% now or 100% after the butterfly is listed??

Originally posted by Wapiti Slayer:
I could care less, I don't live nor ride down there.
Wap, You dumbass , What do you think the Butterfly protectors will do after they close down sand mt.? Go home and be happy ?
Wrong! They go to where you LIVE and RIDE and find a new butterfly to protect.

I know how a lot of those people think...they see the red sign, and see it as a challenge. No way are those red and green signs going to have any effect on where people are riding. That is just a joke. Educating those people about the butterfly won't help either, because they just don't care. In fact I am sure many will think it even more funny to race around tearing up the ground and vegetation, knowing that some people are concerned about a butterfly. I personally don't really care about one particular species of butterfly either, but if they can use the threat of listing it as an endangered species to get some kind of control on what is going on down there, then I'm all for it.

Originally posted by Wapiti Slayer:
I'm sure EG and Ithaca are already on it! Oh well, guess I'll just have to walk since they're going to ban all ATVs anyways.
Yes they will ban all ATV's if you and your ''it's all about me'' crowd keep it up.

Do you really think these guys are going to "Tread Lightly"????
Cory McConnell
April 13, 2004

Thefts, accidents, underage drinking, a slew of injuries and a brush fire. That's how Bureau of Land Management officials summed up last weekend at a recreation area about 30 miles east of Fallon.

A combination of Easter Weekend and Spring Break brought more than 4,000 fun-seekers out to Churchill County's Sand Mountain over the weekend, and many of them will have the scars to prove they were there.

After three Careflights, several ambulance rides and a few personal car trips to the hospital in Fallon, the tally of mishaps at the popular recreation area reads like Evel Knievel's medical chart.

Recreators suffered several broken bones, serious head injuries, cuts, bruises, ruptured organs and severe burns on one man who was pushed into a campfire, according to the bureau.

"You name it, we saw it," said BLM associate field manager Elayn Briggs.

At least a dozen people injured during the weekend ended up in the hospital, Briggs said.

The six BLM rangers assigned to Easter duty at Sand Mountain had their hands full as a small but bustling desert city was quickly erected at the base of the massive dune.

The rangers tracked down visitors who failed to pay use fees, and handed out citations for myriad infractions like the absence of safety gear on off-highway vehicles and speeding through campsites.

Playing the role of party stoppers, the rangers' two least popular actions included quashing an attempt to set up a stage for live music and dismantling a stunt ramp.

Recreators built a large sand ramp, Briggs said, and started a fire at the end of it so the most daredevilish of riders could try and fly over flames. The crowd didn't seem to understand why rangers put a stop to it all, she said.

The many instances of carelessness, and often rowdiness, was likely exacerbated by massive alcohol consumption - especially by the recreation area's younger visitors.

"I mean there was a lot," of underage drinking, Briggs said.

There is no federal law covering underage drinking, so bureau rangers have no authority to issue citations for it, Briggs said. Mostly, the rangers admonish young drinkers and pour out whatever alcohol they find, although they sometimes call parents.

Specifically because of Sand Mountain, and a particular piece of public land near Las Vegas, Briggs said the BLM is in the process of implementing a "minor in possession" code that would allow rangers to cite underage drinkers.

Several other law enforcement problems kept the rangers busy through Saturday night.

"It was really beneficial to have the BLM out there. It hasn't always been that way," said Churchill County Sheriff Rich Ingram.

"For us, it's a 15 to 20-minute response time just to find out what's going on."

Churchill County Sheriff's deputies made one visit to the recreation area over the weekend, responding to a possible fight. They found only an intoxicated man being restrained from wandering through neighboring camps by his companions. The man did have a gun, Ingram said, but was not threatening anybody and no criminal charges were filed.

The man was later taken to the hospital for possible over-intoxication.

A rash of thefts also swept through Sand Mountain's camping areas all weekend. Briggs said everything from beer to barbecues to a trailer hitch were stolen from campers.

The weekend festivities were even complete with fireworks, which led to a brush fire on the hills east of the dune, Briggs said. The brush in the area is still fairly moist and the fire didn't spread.

Eventually, the fireworks were aimed towards tents and trailers.

"People were deliberately shooting fireworks into other people's campsites," Briggs said.

Now that most visitors have left, Briggs said the area is strewn with trash and broken glass, although the bureau banned glass bottles from Sand Mountain last year.

Sounds like it's not going to take a butterfly to get them booted from the area. Just a few more kegs of beer.

Oak

Yep, Elk Spunk,
I will keep it on topic, just as soon as you decide that every one has had enough and extend the same common courtesy that you would like to see.
Until then, I am hanging in the gutter with you and Jizz...
face.gif

Suck it out of the gutter, and I will get back on track. Until then... :rolleyes:
Your move.....

Now that most visitors have left, Briggs said the area is strewn with trash and broken glass, although the bureau banned glass bottles from Sand Mountain last year.
All you would have to do to describe the Rainbow gathering in Flagstaff ten years ago is replace the words "Sand Mountain" with "Coconino National Forest" and add that the group drained in a couple of weeks all social service budgets in Flagstaff for the year.

Hangar,

I don't remember the Bear Valley gathering hitting the County that bad for social services. I know the FS worked closely to make sure the place was cleaned up. I think they got a C+ for the job they did. Not the greatest, but maybe acceptable.

I think the worst thing they did was just a lousy job of site selection. The Salmon have enough trouble, without a huge crowd in their spawning beds.

EG,

That is about how I saw it. I would give them about a C- at Bear Valley. They held it at Kelly Hot Springs near Jackson WY a few years ago, and there I would also give them about a C. In Flagstaff, I would give them an F-. That was unreal, and I think that was part of the reason they are cleaning up their act somewhat. It was too close to town, in an area with a lot of hiking and mountain biking, and they didn't clean it up very well. My wife was working for a non-profit at the time, and like I said before they sucked all local social services dry.

Back