Family Traditon? I hope so...

1_pointer

Family Tradition??

This past weekend was the youth gun hunt here in Indiana. Saturday my oldest had a football game at 10:30 and the youngest a flag football game at 1pm. As soon as the games were over we bolted home for a quick shower and change of clothes before the 3hr drive to our cabin. We go to the cabin about 2hrs before dark. The boys were excited and anxious, as they should be, to get out hunting. I almost put the brakes on them as I didn’t want to “mess it up” for tomorrow as I needed to move the ground blind. In the end we went! We got set up about 1hr 15min before end of legal shooting. The boys were occupied with checking things with their bino’s and figuring out how to use my rangefinder. About 30min before dark a doe steps through the tall weeds into the clearing. I get the oldest on the gun as the youngest finds him in his binos. I get the youngest to sit down as the way we situated in the blind, he was a bit too close to the muzzle end of the rifle. The doe turns and BANG! And she drops! It happened again. Football in the morning and shooting a deer in the evening during youth season from the very same spot!!

I let them “find” the deer and to say they were excited would be an understatement, especially Little Brother! I was tickled to share this with them, but even more so that they got to share it with each other. Hope this is the start of the two of them (and me as long as they will allow it) filling up the hunting memory back account!

We went out the next morning to see if we could find another one. But not before getting their game faces on!

We did have two come out into the ROW, but too far for today. That’s not so much fog as it is steam! It was very hot and humid this weekend…

Seeing the deer got both the boys fired up! We sat until about 9:30 then headed back to the cabin for some more chow. A good portion of the rest of the morning was spent burning some ammo. Little Brother did well enough with the 357 Mag rifle that he’s gonna get a chance to fill a tag or two this gun season. Big Brother handled the 30-30 well enough that deer as shown in the previous picture will NOT be out of range next time! After that we got the UTV out and spread some more seed and they worked on their driving skills. Our cabin is only about 2.5 miles off the state highway and when it was time to leave they were both asleep before we got there! It was good weekend…

PS- Big Brother did remind me, again, that he's now up to 4 deer killed at an age earlier than I shot my first... :D

What a great memory weekend. And quite the big doe as well. Congratulations all around

Excellent stuff! Congrats on the big doe and the pics of the boys says it all! Hopefully more good times yet this fall for you guys!

Thanks! It was a blast. I'm not sure who had more fun, them or I. That is one of the biggest doe I've ever been around. Took more than a few grunts to get it in the back of the UTV. My oldest is 5' and 115# to give a bit of perspective.

Football and deer hunting are two of my favorite parts about fall!

Congrats. just wait until the high school games. I used to watch the friday night games then wait for the boys to clean up. Then it was a 2 hour drive to our cabin. Get unpacked and a few hours of sleep to wake up with a 3 am alarm then off to the duckblind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back