Fallow Cull Buck

EnglishStalker

I saw this young fallow buck very late on Sunday night but I spooked him as he walked behind my highseat so last night I was back in there after him or a poor quality pricket (spikehorn). After about 20 minutes of being in there I picked him out 100 yards away but in heavy cover, 5 minutes later a doe came walking up towards me with her fawn and as I though he came following her and gave me an 60 yard neck shot. 3 and a half year old typical poor head for my area so a good one to take out.

This is our deer larder, the winch makes life so much easier.

And finally in the chiller he goes ready for the game dealer to turn up later this week.

Congrats and thanks for sharing! Amazing to me how similar that looks to many places here in Indiana where folks hunt whitetails.

Thank you all, I often look at photo's from your side of the water and think exactly the same!

I don't ever keep bucks to eat especially during the rut, only tender young doe's for my freezer.

Is selling carcasses to the game dealer profitable or just extra spending money? Just curious.

I am glad you guys are posting from your home. It is very enjoyable. Thank you!

The obvious answers is yes but to what degree depends on how much land you have to shoot over, at the moment I'm getting roughly $1.50 a lb so that buck is worth $180. So if you have 1000's of acres with multiple species and can take clients out year round then between the carcass money and the guide payments of maybe $250 a day plus trophy fees yes it's very profitable.

Maybe you should have swapped the Fallow for the Sika you are after, seeing how many are in the chiller, some of the Fallow heads where i stalk are poor quality, maybe due to poor nutrition on Dartmoor, but there are some cracking beasts in the deer park on an estate near me called Powerderham.
They do weddings there, the owner was showing a potential client around for a future wedding booking, looking at the deer in the park when, bang flop, the keeper shot one from the top of the castle!

Nice neck shot by the way.

Cheers
Richard

There's 2 problems with that Richard, one he's never shot a muntjac buck which is why he's swamping a sika stag and two we struggle to hold fallow bucks on our ground, they turn up in NT Hatfield Forest for the rut and then drift in and out for the rest of the year.

Back