Fall browns

mdunc8

Blew off work Friday and spent a few hours fishing. No monsters, but the fish were especially aggressive, which made for a fun morning.

Attachments

• DSC_1016 (1024x685).jpg
    DSC_1016 (1024x685).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC_1018 (1024x685).jpg
    DSC_1018 (1024x685).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC_1020 (1024x685).jpg
    DSC_1020 (1024x685).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC_1022 (1024x685).jpg
    DSC_1022 (1024x685).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC_1024 (1024x685).jpg
    DSC_1024 (1024x685).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC_1027 (1024x685).jpg
    DSC_1027 (1024x685).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 459
Nice mess of fish. Is that an egg fly?

I can almost tell what river you're on by the back drop rocks! ;)

Wonderful job mdunc8, those are some beauts!!! Not all browns - wtf? Kidding ofcourse, great fish, thanks for posting!

Man,

I always enjoy your fishing pics... Not to hijack your thread, but I was doing the same thing this weekend. Caught a ton of brownies, beautiful color. They were tearing up the place. Between skying, spawning, and chasing rainbows, I feel sorry for them. Do the rainbows constantly harass the spawn up there?

Attachments

• fishing with Richard & Braeden 001.JPG
    fishing with Richard & Braeden 001.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 383
Good job Mike, I'm with you on the fall browns.....must be getting old and losing my edge,almost rather fish than hunt.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCN7180.jpg
    DSCN7180.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 334
We usually catch a few nice rainbows sucking up eggs. We've even managed a few fall spawners, which is pretty cool.

Hem, hopefully this snow will get my mind in the right place.

I'm off for elk/deer hunting Wednesday.That 22" brown I hooked and lost in the morning and rested him for an afternoon meal of a white Sex Dungeon,....which he slammed.Pretty cool.

mdunc8, I always look forward to your posts - great fish and great photos!
Now, if I just had your skills and lived near those great trout you're always catching ....................................

My buddy and I have been doing well on the yellowstone. Still havent caught one on the fly, any patterns you guys recommend?

Thanks for the tip on the eggs. Landed my first brownie on the fly tonight along with a few other and a rainbow! Used a strike indicator for the first time and that seemed to help me a lot as well.

That's great. Congrats. The indicator is definitely helpful in deeper holes. However, I shy away from them when fishing shallow runs where you can see the fish.

My buddy and I have been doing well on the yellowstone. Still havent caught one on the fly, any patterns you guys recommend?

If you can use 2 flies there, try an egg trailed by anothe fly. I'll start with a 16-18 short shank(scud hook) black zebra midge. I'll leave the egg on and swith out the trailing fly if needed. Even when they aren't really on the egg, I think it grabs their attention and they seem to hit the trailer more often. Plus it doubles your chances. Keep the flies on the bottom and watch any drag. Like mdunc, in shallow clear water I usually don't use an indicator but I watch the egg if I can see it or I watch then end of the fly line. In darker or deeper water , I'll use an indicator. Congrats on the fish, BD

thanks guys for the info. Pretty much addicted to fly fishing after tonight. It was frustrating at first and rarely caught fish and only small ones. I think im starting to get it down now though. Just what I need another expensive hobby :D
Think ill hit up the clarks fork of the yellowstone this weekend, should probably go elk hunting with the weather moving in but we'll see

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back