Yeti GOBOX Collection

Factory Hammer Ammunition

A long time ago, Remington made an extended range line of ammo that had 178 loads for an 06. I've never had anything shoot that well in my gun. Would be very excited to see this.

Hammer has a 178 grain bullet called the Absolute that will attain 3000 fps in the .30-06. Don't know when it will be offered in the new factory ammo. It is another Montana company that will produce it though. mtmuley

Glad to hear that they found a manufacturer they felt good about partnering with. I listened to the conversation with Steve on the Hunt Backcountry Podcast a while back. He said he went to Shot Show with the intent of making a deal with one of the major ammo makers and came away pretty disappointed. Said something like “it was a race to the bottom.”

Last edited:
That’s exciting news. The only possible downside is you will have some hunters buying it who know very little and then complaining that it doesn’t work for them and bashing it. Most likely will be due to not knowing Barrel twist or thinking a bore sighted rifle is ready to hunt with or some other idiotic thing. The amount of reasons I’ve heard for poor rifle performance that gets blamed on the round itself when in reality it’s a form of user error is staggering. I feel when your only option is to hand load you exhaust the variables that possibly cause poor performance and get a more accurate outcome if you know what your doing.

Please excuse the ignorant question. I understand the Hammer bullet is a monolithic bullet. So are several other's. What makes a Hammer better than the other's if they all shoot well in your rifle?

Please excuse the ignorant question. I understand the Hammer bullet is a monolithic bullet. So are several other's. What makes a Hammer better than the other's if they all shoot well in your rifle?

It's a lathe turned bullet which puts it in a different class of monolithics. Smaller production, tighter tolerances.

That’s exciting news. The only possible downside is you will have some hunters buying it who know very little and then complaining that it doesn’t work for them and bashing it. Most likely will be due to not knowing Barrel twist or thinking a bore sighted rifle is ready to hunt with or some other idiotic thing. The amount of reasons I’ve heard for poor rifle performance that gets blamed on the round itself when in reality it’s a form of user error is staggering. I feel when your only option is to hand load you exhaust the variables that possibly cause poor performance and get a more accurate outcome if you know what your doing.
Steve has probably thought this out. He's pretty sharp. Probably put a reccomended twist on the packaging. I'll ask him. mtmuley

Do some googling on the new Absolute Hammer. You'll probably be surprised. mtmuley

giphy.gif

actually that's not bad considering it costs reloaders $1 shot just for the bullets plus cost of powder and primers.
Assuming 20 round box, that puts it at $5/round delivered. Not saying they won't be a great option for some, but definitely pricey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back