Episode Six - Montana elk/deer

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This week, on Thursday night, we will air an episode that is just flat out, low stress, easy to pull off, and enjoyable. A general season tag, hunting deer and elk on Gallatin National Forest, not too far from my house.

This episode is to show people how easy it is to come to Montana, especially now that we have 2,000 tags left over, find a spot on the map where fewer people want to go, and in the process, hopefully stumble upon some elk and mule deer to hang your tag on.

This link sneak preview of the episode. >>>----> http://bcove.me/4ye84uc4

If you are interested in a hunt this fall, I cannot overstate how easy it can be to do a MT elk/deer combo hunt. Tags can still be had at this link.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/buyApply/nowAvailable.html

There are over 31 million acres of public land and 7 million+ acres open via our Block Management Program. If you cannot find some ground to get away from the crowds in Montana, odds are you like hanging out at the trail head.

Here would be my Cliff Notes version of how to plan this hunt.

• Get tag (easy)
  • Get maps (most any unit west of Billings will have enough public ground)
  • Find spots on maps that have some topography to lower hunter interest (doesn't have to be extreme)
  • Find areas burned, logged, thinned, or otherwise treated to improve habitat (within the last ten years)
  • Hunt elk in archery season, if you can (MT archery elk is the most overlooked elk tag in the west)
  • Montana has water everywhere, so not much of a tool like it is in SW states
  • Know that after opening day, elk head two places - 1) lower/private, or 2) more rugged/public
  • Know that bulls don't need to travel a lot to make a living in rifle season. (They are less active and therefore less visible)
  • Know that elk and mule deer have different needs, and therefore fewer places will attract both during the same period (with some exceptions, such as this episode)

Go hunting this fall. It will be a ton of fun. Given how MT has had left over tags for the last few years, you can learn an area a little more each season. Eventually, you will have as much, maybe more, intel about the area than many of the locals who hunt it a weekend or two each year.

If you want to read the play-by-play of this hunt, go to the link below.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=256803

IMG_1792-004.JPG

Really enjoyed this episode. Thank you for posting the license information. I'd really like to make this hunt happen in the next couple of years. Congrats on a beautiful muley with some great character!!

Bigfin - just went back through and read the story from last fall. That is a great buck with lots of character. Sounds like a good hunt. What type of tent is that? Does it work well for late fall backpack hunts? I just got the dvd so I'm looking forward to watching.

I have a similar area picked out in burn from about 8 years ago in the Anaconda Range. Hoping to pop a bull in the rifle season.

Bigfin - just went back through and read the story from last fall. That is a great buck with lots of character. Sounds like a good hunt. What type of tent is that? Does it work well for late fall backpack hunts? I just got the dvd so I'm looking forward to watching.

I have a similar area picked out in burn from about 8 years ago in the Anaconda Range. Hoping to pop a bull in the rifle season.

The tent is a Hilleberg Nall2GT. Works great for what you saw there. Have not had it in much more snow than that. It was unphased in the heavy winds the night before.

Good luck.

Awesome show !!! Can't wait to get up there in September to try my luck.
Never hunted Montana before but it will be good no matter what !!!
Counting the days

Sportsmans channel and Cox cable finally let me watch and DVR the episode. Big Fin I'm Glad you take the time to explain your thought process on the no-shot on the 375 yard elk. More restraint at "marginal shots" is a very needed demonstration to a viewing audience.

Yet another great episode Randy! This episode goes to show you that the big bucks will hold tight and let you just walk on by. Those other hunters had no idea what they had just walked by. Their loss and your gain. Great buck!

Recently viewed an episode (same episode on 2 different occasions) on the Outdoor channel and really enjoyed the reality of your hunting show: public land, DIY, and all the factors that make a hunt a hunt. I can fully appreciate it. Keep up the real deal because i only watch two other hunting shows and i darn sure enjoyed your showing. Happy trails.

Topgun -Thanks for the welcome and yes, i stand corrected...Sportsman Channel. Like your title-Topgun 30-06; i just happen to exclusively use a 1970 Model 70, 30-06 for all my game hunting (deer & pig) . going on a pig hunt next week, the weather finally took a turn for the best. Deer season was good this year but last year was better for me. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back