Enough with the runoff already

mdunc8

Glad I drew a tag that will distract me this summer cause Lord knows I'm not gonna get any fishing in any time soon. This is House Rock on the Gallatin. To give you a little perspective, the rock is probably 10 ft tall. For much of the year, most of the rock is out of the water. A couple kayakers ended up rigging some ropes across the river to use as a zipline so they could get out on the rock with a chainsaw to cut the log free. The tree was free on my way back from my hike, so I guess they were successful. I was expecting to read about them in Chronicle, but apparently they survived.

The picture was taken on Saturday. With the warm weather we've had the last few days, the river jumped back up above this weekend's levels today and will likely surpass 8,000cfs later tonight, which will rank between the third and fifth highest flows in more than 100 years.

houserock.jpg

Last edited:
I did actually see a fella attempting to fish the clear water where Deer Creek dumps in. He appeared to be fishing an area the size of a toilet bowl. I'm sure hey slayed them:rolleyes:

Back