Email from my Representative.

This was the response I received from my congressman when I brought my concerns about the Antiquities Act specifically HR 3990 to him.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your concerns regarding H.R. 3990, the National Monument Creation and Protection Act. As your Representative for the Sixth Congressional District of Minnesota, your views are very important to me and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, the Antiquities Act of 1906 was originally enacted to protect sites of historical or natural significant by setting aside federal lands to "the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects." Unfortunately, the authorities granted to the Executive Branch have been used to an extent that greatly diverges from the original to intent of the Antiquities Act.

For example, despite the opposition of local communities and stakeholders in many cases, the previous administration designated over 550 million acres of land as new national monuments pursuant to the Antiquities Act. In fact, President Obama nearly tripled the amount lands designated by a President as a national monument in the past 100 years. The action of a President is not necessarily the problem, but rather the law that enables one individual to make such a determination without the consultation and consent of the local communities or their representatives. The law needs to be changed or updated to restore some of that power back to the local communities.

On October 6, 2017 Representative Rob Bishop (R-UT) introduced H.R. 3990. If enacted, this bill would amend the Antiquities Act of 1906 to require county and state consent before designating lands as a National Monument. Additionally, it allows a President to reduce the size of any currently declared monument only after approval of county and state governments and after environmental reviews through the U.S. Department of Interior or the Department of Agriculture. Finally, it prohibits the designation of privately-owned lands from being designated a National Monument without acquiring the owners' explicit, written consent. Presently, H.R. 3990 awaits action in the full chamber of the House of Representatives. If this or any related legislation comes before me for a vote, please rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Like you, I value our public lands, historical artifacts and natural wonders that our state and country provides. Many of these national monuments serve as key educational resources for our youth as well as important reminders for every American about the heritage and history of our great nation. Although I am not a cosponsor of this legislation, I remained concerned about the abuse of executive action that takes away millions of acres of land and valuable resources without state and public input. As this important discussion continues, I hope you will continue to share your thoughts on this matter with me.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Your input is vital to assist me in carrying out my duties as your Congressman. If I may be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to contact the staff in my Otsego district office at (763) 241-6848 or my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-2331.

Sincerely,
Tom Emmer

"

Just wanted to let others know the messages that are being sent.

"executive action that takes away millions of acres of of land and valuable resources without state and public input." Curious how federal land was taken away from a state in establishing Bear's Ears? How much UT Koolaid was spilled on the note from your rep?

"executive action that takes away millions of acres of of land and valuable resources without state and public input." Curious how federal land was taken away from a state in establishing Bear's Ears? How much UT Koolaid was spilled on the note from your rep?

I don't understand the point you're making when you say "federal land was taken away from a state in establishing Bear's Ears?" Will you try and clarify, please?
XXL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back