Elk Teeth??

mhungerford

Many people call the top two teeth on elk Ivory's, are they really ivory and what are they used for? I have heard that they are whats left from when elk had tusk or something like that. Can anyone give some insight on this. Someone told me they aided in the bulls bugle:D

Yes they are ivory. Elk are one of the few animals in the world that have ivory. As far as their evolution I have heard the same thing, They were once a tusk of some sort? I am not sure?
I have never heard they help bulls bugle or vocalization of any sort? Maybe its true but my instinct is saying that they dont use it for bugles.

Agree, same story I've heard. I've heard them referred to as "whistlers" too. Not sure it helps in vocalizations, but, it may. I've got some I made a necklace out of. . .doesnt help me bugle though:)

Well, first you should start by defining "ivory." Then you can decide for yourself whether elk have "ivory teeth." . ;)

I've killed whitetail deer and caribou that had "ivory" canines. Don't think they bugle? Caribou actually have a blocked out hole in thier pallet where the teeth would go. I'll dig up a picture and post it later. The hole has a small bone grown in place of where the teeth would be. The bull I shot last year had little baby teeth growing out of the hole.

The last whitetail I killed had ivories, had the skull bleached out to prove it.

Many people call the top two teeth on elk Ivory's, are they really ivory and what are they used for? I have heard that they are whats left from when elk had tusk or something like that. Can anyone give some insight on this. Someone told me they aided in the bulls bugle:D

RMEF agrees with you on the left-overs of a tusk used for combat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back