Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk Pedestal Mount

Got the call from taxidermist yesterday that my elk pedestal mount will be complete in two months and I need to choose a few things. I'm not sure about the wood choice of Oak or Walnut...leaning towards Walnut. I'm doing a closed mouth with habitat, but not sure about a full turn or semi turn to the right. Also the shape of the pedestal will be hexagonal and serve as a storage area for books and magazines. Anyone have any ideas here about the wood choice, turn or anything else? Thanks gang. :D

Depends on the decor of your home...do you have wood floors? As for your mount, I kinda like to position the animal the way I shot it, direction its facing , posture ect. Hope this helps

Glossy walnut and semi turn, unless the full turn sticks out into the room less and that matters. I imagine you have a spot picked out, do you want the bull looking at something? I did my bull mount so he's looking right at the door when you walk into the room. Just make sure you post up some pics when you get your bull back. Don't you have a bear at the taxi as well?

Glossy walnut and semi turn, unless the full turn sticks out into the room less and that matters. I imagine you have a spot picked out, do you want the bull looking at something? I did my bull mount so he's looking right at the door when you walk into the room. Just make sure you post up some pics when you get your bull back. Don't you have a bear at the taxi as well?

First off, thanks guys. I'll take another look, but walnut is probably the way I'll go. Having now made up my mind, I'll definitely have him positioned the way I shot him which is a semi turn to the right and that will fit in the room better.

Fishing4Sanity - I'm impressed. Yes I have my chocolate sow at the taxi and he's making a rug for me on black and hunter green felt. I just thought the green would be a little more subtle.

Thanks again gang!

I mounted my bull slight right on a sandblasted cedar stump. The wood was some alder, that I sanded down and stained to where it almost looks like walnut, but for a fraction of the price. It took me longer to make the base than it did to mount the elk, but thats how it goes sometimes. I wanted to make the woodwork taller, but I didn't have much of an option because he needed to clear 8' ceilings.

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 10,961
Beautiful mount there and with the elk mount being done... Walnut for sure and if its going in the living room as my 1st one will. I was thinking about making the shelving below big enough to fit my hunting video collection, DVD's, books etc.

i just built this pedestal in black walnut for my antelope. i really like the look of walnut

Attachments

• rsz_rsz_ant.jpg
    rsz_rsz_ant.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,002
Looking again last night I think you could give the oak a darker finish, but the walnut is naturally darker so I think it'll probably be a better option.

Talked to Waylon at Waylons Wildlife in Great Falls again. Decided on walnut with barnwood together for the pedastal. Waylons put that combo together before and it turns out really well I guess. Can't wait.

Alright gang, here's the product thus far. Still a ways to go, but he's shaping up nicely. Waylon does some pretty awesome work so I added the shot of the ram in there too just to give you a an idea of what he works on...and to make you sheep lovers drool I bit. I know I did!! Anyway, the pedestal is going to be walnut and barnwood with a door for storage. I can't wait.

Attachments

• IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,672
  • IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,525
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts