Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk .... Let's see them!!!

First elk for both my boys (12 & 13). Belly crawled to top of a ridge with a herd of 200+ across the draw. Couldn't get any closer than 325 yards. When both boys had their crosshairs on the cow they wanted, I counted down 3, 2, 1, shoot. They shot simultaneously and dropped their cows 50 yards apart!! The 6.5 Creedmoor strikes again (142 grain Accubond LR). All their work in 4H shooting sports this year really paid off! It would be tough to be a prouder dad!!
View attachment 305363
View attachment 305364
Living’ the dream!

IMG_4301.jpeg
After coming out of October and November empty handed, missing some hunting due to weather and sickness, I was getting nervous I wouldn’t get an elk this year. Alas, this cow’s luck was worse than mine. Elk is back on the menu! Thanks to the two good samaritans who helped me carry the meat to my truck.

First elk for both my boys (12 & 13). Belly crawled to top of a ridge with a herd of 200+ across the draw. Couldn't get any closer than 325 yards. When both boys had their crosshairs on the cow they wanted, I counted down 3, 2, 1, shoot. They shot simultaneously and dropped their cows 50 yards apart!! The 6.5 Creedmoor strikes again (142 grain Accubond LR). All their work in 4H shooting sports this year really paid off! It would be tough to be a prouder dad!!
View attachment 305363
View attachment 305364
Awesome! Way to go.

My last 4 elk from 2020-23. Not being in my home state, each year I hunted a new unit to get things figured out. The tags may not have been considered the greatest but the experiences and knowledge gained made them pretty valuable to me. The first year was a Leftover tag, the second was in a 0-point draw unit, an OTC tag, and a 1-point draw. I had a chance during the OTC archery season as well, in another unit I had never been in before. I called in a bull for my buddy and got plenty of responses and close calls for myself but couldn’t get it done. All in all, I’ve learned I’m pretty dumb, mainly for shooting elk quite a ways from roads, luckily the strong part comes a little easier for me.IMG_1135.png
IMG_7634.jpeg
IMG_7638.jpeg
IMG_7639.png

My last 4 elk from 2020-23. Not being in my home state, each year I hunted a new unit to get things figured out. The tags may not have been considered the greatest but the experiences and knowledge gained made them pretty valuable to me. The first year was a Leftover tag, the second was in a 0-point draw unit, an OTC tag, and a 1-point draw. I had a chance during the OTC archery season as well, in another unit I had never been in before. I called in a bull for my buddy and got plenty of responses and close calls for myself but couldn’t get it done. All in all, I’ve learned I’m pretty dumb, mainly for shooting elk quite a ways from roads, luckily the strong part comes a little easier for me.View attachment 309028
View attachment 309029
View attachment 309030
View attachment 309031
I can totally relate to the distance issue! 🙄

I’ll bet that was annoying walking between trees with!
Tree's sometime was a blessing gave me something to lean against so I won't fall over. Lol I had the head, 1 back quarter, and both back straps. Son-in-law packed out 1 front quarter, hunting buddy packed out 1 front quarter, and they took turns ( mainly the Son-in-law) drug out the 2nd hind quarter that was all wrapped up in a thick tarp. Long pack out, not as young as I used to be. But can still get it done. Plus i can't let my Son-in-law and hunting buddy see I'm getting old. Lol

Tougher than I’d be. Congrats on a heck of a bull.
Thank you. It's always fun hunting with some great guys. Lesson to all of us grump and grown about how far the pack is and never doing this again. Then on the why home someone says, we putting in for this area next year and the answer is always. O Yea, glutton for punishment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back