Elk hunting partner

ryansullivan

Hey all,
I know most people are probably out on hunts right now, but I'm looking ahead to next year. I've been trying to get into elk hunting for a few years now but I can't seem to find a partner who wants to do anything more than drive roads and hope to bump into elk. Needless to say I've never killed one and I've never been in on one. I'm tired of bugles taunting me and watching guys go out and do it every year, I'm 21 and ready to get after it. I was hoping to see if anybody may be needing a partner for next year or would let me tag along with your group for a hunt. I don't care if I have the tag or not, I can be a caller, pack mule, extra set of eyes, whatever you need. Just want to gain some experience and hunt with people that are motivated to make it happen! Thanks everyone.

Good luck finding someone to tag along with! I got started elk hunting from a post from an experienced elk hunter needing a partner, and we've become close friends and now go elk hunting every year.

You’ve got a great attitude, next years a long way away, and you’ve got a lot of next years compared to most fellas. Stay on this forum and keep bugging folks, you’ll get your hunts and eventually your big bull!

Fyi, this post is for encouragement.
Grab the bull by the horns and go after them. I understand wanting too learn from someone else. In my experience, waiting for someone else to come along, may not happen. I'm not saying go in unprepared, but keep pushing your limits everytime you go out. You'll pick it up quicker than you think. Also, people are more willing to help someone who is trying and failing, than someone waiting for someone too show them the ropes. Read everything, listen too everything, watch everything, it will come.
Start getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. Good luck.

Grab the bull by the horns and go after them. I understand wanting too learn from someone else. In my experience, waiting for someone else to come along, may not happen. I'm not saying go in unprepared, but keep pushing your limits everytime you go out. You'll pick it up quicker than you think. Also, people are more willing to help someone who is trying and failing, than someone waiting for someone too show them the ropes. Read everything, listen too everything, watch everything, it will come.
This!

That is true! I appreciate that. I'm definitely going to give it my best shot this year and see if I cant knock one down with a rifle.

Hey all,
...I'm tired of bugles taunting me and watching guys go out and do it every year, ...
Gosh, so many questions. So are you hearing bugles while hunting or in your sleep? I'm not sure what you mean by "taunting you". Hearing them while hunting is half the battle. And "guys that go out and do it every year" isn't a thing. What gives you the impression that guys go out and do it every year? Do you know people that do or are just getting that impression from the wonderful internet?

I'm with the previous post. Just do it yourself and learn. Jeez, you're 21 and have your whole life in front of you. Don't worry about killing a 380 bull by your 22nd birthday. Too much pressure, just enjoy the process.

Gosh, so many questions. So are you hearing bugles while hunting or in your sleep? I'm not sure what you mean by "taunting you". Hearing them while hunting is half the battle. And "guys that go out and do it every year" isn't a thing. What gives you the impression that guys go out and do it every year? Do you know people that do or are just getting that impression from the wonderful internet?

I'm with the previous post. Just do it yourself and learn. Jeez, you're 21 and have your whole life in front of you. Don't worry about killing a 380 bull by your 22nd birthday. Too much pressure, just enjoy the process.

You missed the point of the post, but thanks for replying anyway. I do hunt every year, and I do get into elk occasionally. I'm not asking for handouts, just wanted to see if someone was looking for a partner or would mind if I tagged along to crush the learning curve a bit. Trust me, I enjoy the process. Hope you find success this season, good luck.

I think I got the point, although it wasn't clear what the exact trouble is. You find guys but they just want to road hunt? And you know of people that get it done each year? Seems slightly contradictory. Try Elk 101 for a boat load of info, read posts here, ask questions. There are a lot of ways to learn other than being a pack mule for someone. Really the only way to learn is to go. If you cannot find someone to go with, go alone. Keep at it. You clearly have the fire, so you will be successful, I am sure of that.

I learn every year by boots on the ground.55yrs and still learning.
Always will....Stop by neighbors camp say howdy and soak in the knowledge.
Impart what you saw and enjoyed during the day and they will learn too.
I am a lone Wolf,but having a friend along would change the experience.
Good luck to you.Every day out there is a lesson learned... :cool:

Seems like every week there's someone new looking for a hunting partner. I've tried to plan things with guys a few times, but it's never went through.

I'm thinking next year we ought to have a "HuntTalk Misfits and Outcasts" hunt. Whoever makes it makes it, whoever doesn't doesn't.

@ryansullivan Good luck this year!

Maybe the elk 101 guys are the ones referred to when he says they get it done every year haha. The UEH course is an awesome resource though. Like others said, keep at it and you’ll get it done. Maybe while in search of a partner you will get your bull and start to prefer solo hunting even more. Then all you need is some real good friends to help pack it out each year.

Hey all,
I know most people are probably out on hunts right now, but I'm looking ahead to next year. I've been trying to get into elk hunting for a few years now but I can't seem to find a partner who wants to do anything more than drive roads and hope to bump into elk. Needless to say I've never killed one and I've never been in on one. I'm tired of bugles taunting me and watching guys go out and do it every year, I'm 21 and ready to get after it. I was hoping to see if anybody may be needing a partner for next year or would let me tag along with your group for a hunt. I don't care if I have the tag or not, I can be a caller, pack mule, extra set of eyes, whatever you need. Just want to gain some experience and hunt with people that are motivated to make it happen! Thanks everyone.
Where are you from? Rifle or archery? I go with two other people every other year for OTC archery. Pack in on foot and stay 5-6 days. Absolute great experience.

Back