Elk Hunting on a Mountain Bike

Rat Fink

Anyone here ever use a Mountain bike to get behind gated roads on public lands? The spot I was archery hunting this year was about 5 miles in on a road that will be gated and closed on October 15th. It's pretty flat all the way in and is freshly graveled this year. I have a cow tag for the area as well as my general license and I was on elk every day during archery season but just couldn't get a clear shot. I borrowed my buddies bike trailer and was planning on riding in to the area and if I get one down boning it out and hauling it out in halves in the trailer. I found an elk honey hole just a few hundred yards off the main road where they have been bedding during the day so it would be pretty easy to lay a cow down and get her out. Just wondering if any of you have any experience using your mountain bikes to get in an out as well as hauling meat in a bike trailer. Any input and pointers would be appreciated.

Used a bike for that same thing a few years ago on a mountain goat hunt. A bike trailer would have been nice. I just used my backpack. Wasn't too bad since it was downhill out.

Doesn't Schmalts use a bike quite a bit? I could be thinking of somebody else tho

I've used a bike for deer and elk sucessfully.

When you're coming out with a heavy load of meat on the steep downhill grade, get off and walk. I had the brakes smoking and I was still increasing in speed. Thought I was going to die.

I've used a bike for deer and elk sucessfully.

When you're coming out with a heavy load of meat on the steep downhill grade, get off and walk. I had the brakes smoking and I was still increasing in speed. Thought I was going to die.

I've hunted off my mtn bike before and will again. I agree with T Bone, be careful. When successful, I've packed 'em out on my back and walked the bike or made two trips. Good luck!

I use a mountain bike whenever possible. I put two quarters over my seat and push/ride out. Best game cart ever. Hydrolic disc brakes are the way to go. Good luck.

Damn, all the secrets are getting out thesed days. Here is a picture Troy took of me going through the lava rocks of New Mexico. Kona makes a serious bike. Bob Trailers are the way to go.

There is a bike shop in Bozeman that builds tons of bikes that get used for hunting. The owner, Steve Bjorklund, is a serious biker, but also really into hunting and fishing. He can build you a better hunting bike than anyone I know. His phone number is (406) 587-1064. Summit Bike and Ski is his shop name.

OYOA Randy Newberg 42-1.jpg

Damn, all the secrets are getting out thesed days. Here is a picture Troy took of me going through the lava rocks of New Mexico. Kona makes a serious bike. Bob Trailers are the way to go.

There is a bike shop in Bozeman that builds tons of bikes that get used for hunting. The owner, Steve Bjorklund, is a serious biker, but also really into hunting and fishing. He can build you a better hunting bike than anyone I know. His phone number is (406) 587-1064. Summit Bike and Ski is his shop name.

View attachment 27297

Got any suggestions for prickly pear or is it pair? I got popped this year big time.

Last edited:
Got any suggestions for prickly pare or is it pair? I got popped this year big time.

No. I hate that junk. In daylight you can avoid most of it, but in the dark, I seem to find them all. Just get real good at repairing tires and have a good repair kit. Sometimes they are hard to find in the inner tubes, or you can't get them all out of the tire, so it keeps puncturing the tube when you put it back on.

You can buy soilid tubes for your bike at Walmart. Sure saved me a lot of headaches with the kids bikes, the goatheads were rediculous during the summer here. No more worries with the solid tubes, may ride a little rougher but well worth it.

You can buy soilid tubes for your bike at Walmart. Sure saved me a lot of headaches with the kids bikes, the goatheads were rediculous during the summer here. No more worries with the solid tubes, may ride a little rougher but well worth it.

That's what I'm looking for. Good Suggestion. I need to replace the tubes on the trailer tires and will be doing just as you say with the solid tubes.

Everyone has some great ideas here. Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to ride in and out pretty easily without walking. The road is very flat and in great condition. Packing an elk should be a breeze. Killing one, well we all know how that goes.

I like two bikes for hauiling meat. One trip for one boned out elk.The true raghorn express!:hump:

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 3,550
During the Vietnam difficulties, millions of pounds of cargo were transported South on the Ho Chi Mihn trail aboard bicycles. A pushing pole was attached vertically near the seat, and an extension was attached to the left handlebar, allowing the pusher to walk as much as three feet off to the side with large sacks of rice on both sides of the bike. In this way they were able to transport several hundred pounds of materiel per bike.

No reason why a similar method wouldn't work for hunting, and no need to worry about bombing strikes.

Like Carrion Carrier said, be in "bike shape" your quads get hammered pretty quick if your not ready. Bike shorts are a must for me on longer rides. I will pull our old kid carrier trailer on longer hauls for gear and meat.

Like I tell my biker friends all the time. I'd be happy to ride a bike, just can't find a place to tuck the boys away:D

I tell them other things as well.

I still have my old Klein mountain bike that was made before Trek bought them out. Works really great on old logging roads. It's amazing how quiet you can travel. Make sure you take an extra shirt because you will sweat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cityslicker
Back