PEAX Equipment

Elk heart?

Chucknduck

Got my elk this morning and saved the heart. Gonna cook it for supper tomorrow. I have never cooked one so I'm looking for some recipes. I worked as a guide 10 years ago and camp cook would cook the hearts. They were great. I know ha fried them but can't remember the way he did it. Any suggestions

I like them best when they are fried in oil with onions (dust them with seasoned flour before frying). Steve Rinella has an episode where he cooks heart like 5 different ways- good stuff. Always save the heart ;)

I like them best when they are fried in oil with onions (dust them with seasoned flour before frying). Steve Rinella has an episode where he cooks heart like 5 different ways- good stuff. Always save the heart ;)

That's what we do with them. Flour and fry then smother them in onions and dip in horseradish. Doesn't get much better than that!

We usually boil them with spices, then slice and eat in a sandwich. Elk heart and deer heart is much better than beef heart, in my opinion.

On my hunt in Newfoundland, the guide's wife/cook stuffed and baked a moose heart and it was off the charts.

I slice the heart and soak it all day and over night in salt water, changing the water every couple of hours before bed. In the morning I will rinse it real well and fill that container with buttermilk and let the heart slices sit in the buttermilk all day. When I'm ready to cook them I will cook a pound of bacon to get the grease and them make up a bowl of seasoned flour. I'll take the heart slices out of the milk and dredge them in the flour and then into the hot bacon grease. Sometimes I have made a beer batter and after dredging the flour, dipped them in the beer batter and deep fried them in vegetable oil. Fajitas and tacos get boring.

Last edited:
Think I'll try and fry it in oil and onions. Gonna start trimming it up
Cushman yours sounds great but is lots of work. What does the salt water do? Draw out blood? I'll try that one with my deer

Think I'll try and fry it in oil and onions. Gonna start trimming it up
Cushman yours sounds great but is lots of work. What does the salt water do? Draw out blood? I'll try that one with my deer

The salt water draw out some of the blood and takes out some of the iron taste of it and makes it a bit more mild flavored

So I sliced it into about 1/4 in strips dredged in seasoned flour and fried in olive oil and garlic. Me and the boy loved it. The girls not so much. I should have not told them what it was. Gonna try and do cushmans soaks next time see if it makes it more mild for the gals. Guess I'll just have to cook it at hunting camp

The salt water draw out some of the blood and takes out some of the iron taste of it and makes it a bit more mild flavored

I guess I like the "unmild" taste of iron and blood. :D I will soak them a little to clean them out but never go thru all that process. With the liver I will try and tame it down a little....

I've cooked deer heart tenderized, dipped in egg and rolled in Italian bread crumbs and fried. Very good eats. Always remember to remove the thin sack around the heart.

I guess I like the "unmild" taste of iron and blood. :D I will soak them a little to clean them out but never go thru all that process. With the liver I will try and tame it down a little....

I gotta make it how the wife will eat it lol I prefer the more bloody taste as well, but that's for hunting camp eats :D

I usually can my big game hearts, I have several friends that save the hearts for me. Sliced 1/2" thick, packed into pint jars with a heaping TBS of the BBQ sauce of your choice. A lot of work, but the end result is worth it.

It's been probably 40 years since I ate deer heart. Seems to me when it gets fried up with the liver that cooks in about 5 minutes the heart would be like chewing on a piece of rubber.
Is my memory skewed?

It's been probably 40 years since I ate deer heart. Seems to me when it gets fried up with the liver that cooks in about 5 minutes the heart would be like chewing on a piece of rubber.
Is my memory skewed?

I've done heart in the slow cooker before and it came out pretty tender. I did it in beef stock and some beer and a shot or two of whiskey (then one for me) with veggies and onions and potatoes and it was a nice dinner.

I've done heart in the slow cooker before and it came out pretty tender. I did it in beef stock and some beer and a shot or two of whiskey (then one for me) with veggies and onions and potatoes and it was a nice dinner.

I usually do that only with more like six or eight shots and then it doesn't matter what the damn stuff tastes like anyway.:D

Back