Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Christmas

Bigbuckkiller

Well its christmas day for elk hunting for me. Im going to get some elk gear today at cabelas and sportsmens. I know a couple things i wanna get but i was wondering what has worked for other people. I will take any and all suggestions. I have some money so if you guys have anything that has helped you up at elk camp comment what it is and ill try and see if i can get it.

If you are really "camping", then being and staying warm is really important. Sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Layering clothing, waterproof boots. REALY GREAT mittens/gloves, and head coverings.

it must be something in the air . I just got a Alakank tentandfloor liner with Vestibule at Cabela's .They must of felt sorry for on all the money i gave them but they gave me a Freeoutfitters cot,cot pad,cot tree andcot side nightstand. i was thinking cool deal. Got today from UPS. Put up the cot it is so big i need a bigger tent now. It is big enough for me and 4or 5 miget chicks.

Might be the best comment ever!! :D

No kidding! How many big animals have hit the ground in years past by hunters just like that! All before big companies convinced everyone they needed "this and that" to be successful!

it must be something in the air . I just got a Alakank tentandfloor liner with Vestibule at Cabela's .They must of felt sorry for on all the money i gave them but they gave me a Freeoutfitters cot,cot pad,cot tree andcot side nightstand. i was thinking cool deal. Got today from UPS. Put up the cot it is so big i need a bigger tent now. It is big enough for me and 4or 5 miget chicks.

That does sound like a good deal. Those cots are awesome. I have had one for a number of years.

As far as things in camp goes, being warm and dry is indeed a necessity. Make sure that you have good clothes that can be layered and have some wet weather gear. Good sleeping bag and cot is important, because if you don't sleep well, you wear out quickly.

A good lantern is helpful. I would go with an LED vs the fuel type. A small flashlight of the same configuration is great if you get stuck out late in the evening also.

Either a good axe or small chainsaw is nice for firewood. I have always had a chainsaw because I prefer to spend my energy hunting elk.

A good coffee pot is a plus. Unless you want to do it the old way and cook over the fire, make sure you have a good propane stove. We usually had a second tent to use as a cook tent so everything was out of the weather.

Some kind of door mat is not a bad idea, so that you don't drag so much dirt into the tent.

Back