Elk camps

My camp from this year. Only got to spend one day because of a family emergency. But, my partners got to enjoy it for a week.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit, we may have gone a little overboard.... ;) We've been known to bake fresh pies in the propane oven once in a while. To say we're "roughing it" might be an exaggeration. Sure is nice to have some comfort though after hiking mountains all day.

View attachment 62051

Holy cow!!!!

I would shoot myself, and my partners if we ever got to this....

Holy cow!!!!

I would shoot myself, and my partners if we ever got to this....

No kidding. I don't think even if I took every thing from inside my house it would make this much stuff. Granted, it is just myself and maybe one other person and we're gone from before sun up to after sunset so not a whole lot of need for "extras".

We made a list, made several more, then quadrupled all quantities. It's always fun setting up, but a nightmare when your tired at the end of the hunt and have pack all this #$%^ up...

Besides on draw hunts, even with my young legs it seems like the big car camp/wall tent setups don't make sense for us. But it's always a nice change of pace to eat good food and drink beer on one hunt a year!

I think there is a point of diminishing returns on "Nice Camps". I mean if you spend a Full day setting up camp, that's a day you lose to hunt or scout.

Now if you have your family or friends there who are staying in camp and want to go the extra mile, by all means knock yourself out. It is nice coming back after dark to a hot meal ready and waiting.

My Tent isn't the biggest, My stove is probably undersized, my meals are a step above backpacking food, but I'm pretty mobile and I can set it up in the dark, and hunt from can see to can't see. If I brought my sweetie or my kids, I'd step it up a notch, but I don't plan on seeing it in the daylight until my hands are bloody.

1379301_10202091573199536_920892417_n.jpg

313405_2458581232580_489201465_n.jpg

313536_2456229573790_391102214_n.jpg

This was my Camp in Idaho on October 5th this year. Luckily we were sleeping in different tent, but after scooping out the snow and cutting a new ridge pole we got it put back together.IMG_0019.jpg

No kidding. I don't think even if I took every thing from inside my house it would make this much stuff. Granted, it is just myself and maybe one other person and we're gone from before sun up to after sunset so not a whole lot of need for "extras".

I would be embarrassed to show up with all that junk in the woods. Looks like a trailer park threw up. Packing an elk would be better than packing all that stuff.

IMG_0106.jpg

Last years backpack elk hunt in CO. Not much in the lines of luxury. I did pack in a vestibule that I was happy about though.

Our camp fits in 1 truck with atv on a trailer. We can have it completely set up in 1 hour so we don't lose any hunting time.

Tent Pic.jpg

Simple and to the point. I'm gone an hour before light and back well after dark usually so a hot meal and a cot is all I really need. I did stay in a wall tent for one archery hunt this year and the room sure was nice.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back